From: Miguel Mayol Tur on
The easiest way es to save a converted document .doc or .xls that you
like as template, name it and use it as template instead of the default
template. - you can delete what is inside - total or patially - to let
it as a blank one.

El 13/05/2010 4:33, Frank S. escribi�:

From: "Joshua Lee" on
You'll also find Youtube is a great source for video tutorials for
almost any software. I am sure there are plenty of How-To-Guides for
beginners, even in OpenOffice.

________________________________

Joshua R. Lee

Senior Software Engineer
Global Telecom & Technology
8484 Westpark Drive, Suite 720
McLean, VA 22102 USA

Office +1 (703) 442-5500 ext 528
Direct +1 (703) 442-5528

Cell +1 (302) 824-6858
Fax +1 (703) 442-5595

Joshua.Lee(a)GT-T.net

The information in this transmittal (including attachments, if any) is
confidential, is intended only for the use of the individual named
above, and includes information which is or may be legally privileged.
Any review, use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution of
the information in this transmittal other than by the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmittal in error,
please notify me by e-mail immediately and delete the original message,
any and all attachments, and all copies from all locations in your
computer systems.

________________________________

From: Barbara Duprey on
Frank S. wrote:
> As I recover from having to replace my harddrive I am using OpenOffice
> instead of the MS Office I was familiar with.

Sorry, I know that crash hurt! But at least you didn't have to buy MS
Office (again).

> So far it works adequately with my existing WORD documents, but I'm at
> my wit's end trying to create _new_ documents which should be a simple
> process.
>
> For example, what used to be a simple task of copying text somewhere
> and then pasting into a new document does not yield something that has
> the original appearance. It creates a weird "table" with unexpected
> formating, margins, and borders with no apparent tools to correct any
> of it. I've done trial and error with various commands and just
> increased my frustration.

OOo has quite a few different forms of paste, and what you probably
needif you're getting into this type of situation is some variety of
"Paste Special" to keep the material from being treated as a graphic.
This depends on the source; generally copying into the same OOo
application works normally, but crossing applications or bringing in a
clipboard from other sources often needs the paste special.

> Referring to the various "support" or "help" sites or forums just
> added to the nightmare as they seem unable to deal with the simplest
> item without bringing in all sorts of complicated options.
>
> Maybe I'm missing some basic key to understanding the Writer or text
> portion of OO? It works great with my existing Excel spreadsheets,
> but I dread when I need to create _new_ ones...will it be as
> mysterious as the simple creation of a document seems to be?

The File > New operation lets you start a new document of any of the
supported types, as does the "splash page" when you start OOo. If you
are creating a new document that is substantially similar to an existing
one, the best way is generally to open the existing document and do a
Save As under a new name. That keeps all the formatting and content, and
you can edit it as needed. You can also create a "template" that you can
use whenever you want to create a new document, where the template
stores all kinds of settings and styles so you need not recreate them,
without having content other than "boilerplate" material. The File > New
operation is how you get at these, too.

The most basic difference that people tend to notice is that OOo is very
much based on styles (including page styles, a quite different concept
from the way MS Office formats pages). You may find the following
references helpful:

documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0600MG-MigrationGuide.pdf
(this seems to be for OOo version 2, but it should be pretty close)
wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides

> Can anyone help make simple tasks simple?
>
> Frank S.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Miguel Mayol Tur on
If you cut and paste a table, it will be a table, then you can cut and
paste the words inside.

But if you want templates as your old .doc, as easy to open it erase the
words you do not want in the template and save as template.

Put this templates in your desktop or at any directory, and then you
will have the same template you used with MS word.

As wel, OO has a template directory where you can add this new templates
for accesing them from the menu.

El 13/05/2010 22:14, Joshua Lee escribi�:

From: Michael Adams on
On Thursday 13 May 2010 14:33, Frank S. wrote:
> For example, what used to be a simple task of copying text somewhere and
> then pasting into a new document does not yield something that has the
> original appearance. It creates a weird "table" with unexpected formating,
> margins, and borders with no apparent tools to correct any of it. I've
> done trial and error with various commands and just increased my
> frustration.

This is most frequently seen copying from the Internet.

(X)HTML uses div's (a type of box) as a container. These are different from
tables as they are all rectangular. OO.o seems to re-interpret rightly or
wrongly div's into sections, not tables. In HTML div's can form pseudo
columns, in a writer document they cannot. The upshot is that one div is
always shown above the next.

Alternative Internet practise has been to divide a webpage up with borderless
tables to emulate columns. These get imported AFAIK into OO.o as tables.

Some websites use a combination of tables and divs to achieve layout.

How would you write a program to handle all three options.

The simplest solution is to use Paste Special from the Edit menu and paste the
content as "unformatted text", then apply your own formatting as required.

One other option i have used is to copy the content out of a section then
delete the section and paste the unencumbered text back into the document.
This is fine if there are not too many sections.

HTH

--
Michael

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org