From: Lorne on
Using SP3 with all updates on a desktop, if I resume after hibernation but
do not click my logo on the login screen within a minute or so the computer
shuts down again.

How can I stop it shuting down unless I tell it to?

It is really anoying to get a phone call just after restarting the computer
and then finding that when the call is over the computer is not up and
running unless I remember half way through the conversation to go and click
the startup logo. All my power option are set to never power down uhnless I
click a button to do so.

From: Jose on
On May 16, 3:07 pm, "Lorne" <lorne_ander...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Using SP3 with all updates on a desktop, if I resume after hibernation but
> do not click my logo on the login screen within a minute or so the computer
> shuts down again.
>
> How can I stop it shuting down unless I tell it to?
>
> It is really anoying to get a phone call just after restarting the computer
> and then finding that when the call is over the computer is not up and
> running unless I remember half way through the conversation to go and click
> the startup logo.  All my power option are set to never power down uhnless I
> click a button to do so.

Is it really a minute or so or is it exactly 5 minutes?

From: Lorne on
"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On May 16, 3:07 pm, "Lorne" <lorne_ander...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Using SP3 with all updates on a desktop, if I resume after hibernation but
> do not click my logo on the login screen within a minute or so the
> computer
> shuts down again.
>
> How can I stop it shuting down unless I tell it to?
>
> It is really anoying to get a phone call just after restarting the
> computer
> and then finding that when the call is over the computer is not up and
> running unless I remember half way through the conversation to go and
> click
> the startup logo. All my power option are set to never power down uhnless
> click a button to do so.

Is it really a minute or so or is it exactly 5 minutes?

I don't know because it has always shutdown by the time I get back - if you
think it is exactly 5 minutes that suggests there is a setting somewhere so
how do I access the setting to change it to 30 minutes?

From: Jose on
On May 19, 6:34 am, "Lorne" <lorne_ander...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Jose" <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On May 16, 3:07 pm, "Lorne" <lorne_ander...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Using SP3 with all updates on a desktop, if I resume after hibernation but
> > do not click my logo on the login screen within a minute or so the
> > computer
> > shuts down again.
>
> > How can I stop it shuting down unless I tell it to?
>
> > It is really anoying to get a phone call just after restarting the
> > computer
> > and then finding that when the call is over the computer is not up and
> > running unless I remember half way through the conversation to go and
> > click
> > the startup logo. All my power option are set to never power down uhnless
> > click a button to do so.
>
> Is it really a minute or so or is it exactly 5 minutes?
>
> I don't know because it has always shutdown by the time I get back - if you
> think it is exactly 5 minutes that suggests there is a setting somewhere so
> how do I access the setting to change it to 30 minutes?

I think you will find it is 5 minutes.

Windows is working as designed, but perhaps not as desired as you can
read here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318355

Windows doesn't seem to know why it came out of hibernation and
nothing seems to be happening and there is no good reason to be awake
so it hibernates again.

With this behavior, XP has your best interest in mind as usual. I
don't know where to change th setting to not do that but one day I
came up with a way to fool it.

When you power up after hibernation, you (or your computer) needs to
do something active. Doing something active means a keystroke or
mouse movement. If you are not there, something needs to do it for
you, but only when you hibernate.

Create a batch file and run it from a desktop shortcut to put your
system in hibernation. After the hibernation command is executed,
there are more commands in the batch file that will be executed when
the system comes out of hibernation. Those commands will manipulate
the mouse cursor and fool XP into thinking the mouse moved by your
hand - which is enough to satisfy XP to not go back into hibernation.

Here is one way I have tested:

Get the nircmd utility from here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd2.html

Put the nircmd.exe somewhere in your path or in c:\windows\system32 or
refer to it directly.

Crate a batch file that looks similar to this:

c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
Hibernate
nircmd.exe movecursor 10 10
nircmd.exe movecursor -10 -10

When you run the batch file, the system will execute the first command
in the batch file and the system will hibernate. Then when you power
up, the rest of the batch file will run simulating mouse movement.
This will convince XP you moved the mouse and the system will think it
something to do when it woke up (it was not some accidental wake up).

After testing the batch file, create a desktop shortcut to it and use
the new shortcut to invoke hibernation (you'll get used to it).

It is sort of dopey (this workaround) and you will have to remember to
use the shortcut to hibernate and not the usual methods if you want
the results.

I don't advocate batch files or workarounds, but that is all that I
have in my notes for this issue. If there is some other/better way, I
would like to know about it.
From: Jose on
On May 19, 9:49 am, Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> nircmd.exe movecursor 10 10
> nircmd.exe movecursor -10 -10
>
> When you run the batch file, the system will execute the first command
> in the batch file and the system will hibernate.  Then when you power
> up, the rest of the batch file will run simulating mouse movement.
> This will convince XP you moved the mouse and the system will think it
> something to do when it woke up (it was not some accidental wake up).
>
> After testing the batch file, create a desktop shortcut to it and use
> the new shortcut to invoke hibernation (you'll get used to it).
>
> It is sort of dopey (this workaround) and you will have to remember to
> use the shortcut to hibernate and not the usual methods if you want
> the results.
>
> I don't advocate batch files or workarounds, but that is all that I
> have in my notes for this issue.  If there is some other/better way, I

The c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe... command should be entered all
on one line in the batch file.

The batch file contains 3 lines.

You could also add another line in the top of the batch file to not
see the commands execute:

@echo off

FYI: XP likes to think in seconds so 300 seconds = 5 minutes.