From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Luuk wrote:

> Garrett Smith schreef:
>> Internet Explorer (all versions) will throw errors when it gets a css
>> value it does not like (in some cases, setting a style value to the
>> empty string can result in error. Even in IE8).
>
> of course it will throw error, because its defined what it should throw
> an error on a non-existant css value...

Rubbish. The empty string resets the value of the property.

>> That avoids the IE's fickle behavior with setting styles to values it
>> doesn't like.
>
> there are no style values that IE8 does not 'like'

Rubbish, see <news:1314660.EL58v44csP(a)PointedEars.de>.

> u should simply only use one of the available one's....

You should post using proper English.

> a list is at (i.e.) http://www.w3schools.com/CSS/pr_class_display.asp

They don't know what they are talking about.

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
From: Luuk on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn schreef:

> PointedEars

He wrote some usefull comments....
But only usefull to himself..

Thanks for your info...

--
Luuk
From: GTalbot on
On 17 oct, 08:09, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Luuk wrote:
> > Garrett Smith schreef:
> >> Internet Explorer (all versions) will throw errors when it gets a css
> >> value it does not like (in some cases, setting a style value to the
> >> empty string can result in error. Even in IE8).
>
> > of course it will throw error, because its defined what it should throw
> > an error on a non-existant css value...
>
> Rubbish.  The empty string resets the value of the property.
>

> >> That avoids the IE's fickle behavior with setting styles to values it
> >> doesn't like.
>
> > there are no style values that IE8 does not 'like'
>
> Rubbish, see <news:1314660.EL58v44csP(a)PointedEars.de>.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, this quotation is what you wrote:

{
(...)
the correct
default `display' value is `table' for (X)HTML `table' elements,
`table-row'
for (X)HTML `tr' elements, and `table-cell' for (X)HTML `th' and `td'
elements. Standards-compliant renderers like Gecko's consider that,
while
others like MSHTML's don't. (So the bug is with IE, not Firefox,
again.)
Therefore, if you set display to "block" for a `tr' element, rendering
behavior differs in e.g. Firefox (Gecko-based) and MSIE (MSHTML-based)
}

but Luuk said IE 8, not any IE version. And in IE 8, the default
display value for table-row object is "table-row" [1], not block as
you say. The display value of table-row for table-row objects is not a
style value that IE 8 dislike. And we can prove this to you. So, what
exactly (names, adjectives) should we shout publicly at you now? You
were technically wrong in your reply on top of being unneedlessly
agressive.

[1] http://css-class.com/test/css/defaults/UA-style-sheet-defaults.htm

Gérard