From: Aatu Koskensilta on
cesare cassiobruto <vjq001(a)gmail.com> writes:

> SO, it seems that if FOL is complete, then it IS DECIDABLE.

The observation that a complete theory is decidable is perfectly
fine. (It's a mystery why it seems to have eluded Hilbert!) However,
first-order logic is not complete in the relevant sense. That is, it is
not the case that for any formula A, either A or the negation of A is
logically provable.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensilta(a)uta.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, dar�ber muss man schweigen"
From: Nam Nguyen on
cesare cassiobruto wrote:
> On 7 Ago, 19:07, Colin <colinpoa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 7, 8:21 am, cesare cassiobruto <vjq...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have a doubt about completeness and
>>> decidability in First-order logic that I cannot solve: how is it
>>> possible for first-order logic to be at the same time complete and
>>> only semi-decidable? Let me explain.
>>> [snip]
>>> Now, if A is NOT a theorem, then from the completeness of FOL (1), it
>>> follows that A is not valid, i.e. it is false. So, not-A is true, i.e.
>>> it is valid. But then again, from the completeness of FOL it follows
>>> that not-A is a theorem. So, we know that a procedure TC(not-a ) for
>>> checking if not-A is a theorem WILL halt, eventually, saying it is a
>>> theorem.
>> This is where you go wrong. Yes, if A is not a theorem then A is not
>> vaild. But, no, that does mean that not-A is therefore valid. A being
>> invalid simply means not-A is satisfiable in SOME model. For not-A to
>> be valid it would have to be valid in EVERY model. (You yourself seem
>> to have finally gotten this point in your response to Aatu's post.)
>
> Yes, now I finally grasped it. Intuitively, I think the problem is,
> when you talk about logic you don't talk about a formal system which
> is intepreted in a fixed model, so you forget that in FOL not every
> sentence is simply true or false, but that can be true in a possible
> world and false in another. While when talking about let's say,
> arithmetic, you talk about an intepreted system for which every
> statement is either true or false, and being not true means being
> false. In logic, when you say it's a validity you don't simply say
> it's true, but that it's true in every possible interpretation.
> Anyway, such questions always confuse me a bit. For example:
> decidability
> Is the definition I cited correct? It was this one:
>
> DEF.: A theory T is decidable iff given a statement P in the
> language of the theory, it does exist a general mechanical
> procedure
> that always ends in a finite time for checking if P is or is not a
> theorem of T.
>
> BUT in many textbooks I found a definition that states " for
> checking if P is or is not a
> VALID formula of T". So, it seems the first one is SYNTACTICAL,
> the second a SEMANTIC requirement. Accfording to yuo, which is the
> standard meaning of "decidable theory"? Which it seems to this is the
> same as asking "what do we mean with 'theory', the set of all
> derivations from the a�xioms (syntax) or the set of all logical
> consequences (semantics)?" What is your opinion?
>
> Moreover, can anybody of you please clarify the distinction
> between syntactic an semantic completeness?

Despite intuition, common usage, or convention, we should really
make a distinction between formula truth and formula semantic:
each of all formulas has its own FOL semantic, whether or not
it has any truth value. For instance, x=x has its own semantics
whether or not it's FOL with - or without - equality we're talking
about.

I found many definitions
> of them, not always clear. Is this distinction related in a way to the
> distinction between the two definition of decidability I mentioned
> above?
>
> Thanks a lot
>

> Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply
> With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Thanks

Normally, we do not so much look at things as overlook them.
Zen Quotes by Alan Watt
From: Aatu Koskensilta on
cesare cassiobruto <vjq001(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Do you mean that from the fact that a sentence A is not valid, i.e. it
> is not true in EVERY interpretation, it does NOT follow that not-A is
> true in every interpretation?

Yes. For example (x)P(x) is not true on every interpretation but neither
is ~(x)P(x).

From: Aatu Koskensilta on
George Greene <greeneg(a)email.unc.edu> writes:

> Aatu K.'s replies are often abusive.

They are?

> There is a very simple answer to your question.

Indeed.

From: Herman Jurjus on
On 8/7/2010 4:06 PM, Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
> cesare cassiobruto<vjq001(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> SO, it seems that if FOL is complete, then it IS DECIDABLE.
>
> The observation that a complete theory is decidable is perfectly
> fine. (It's a mystery why it seems to have eluded Hilbert!)

Huh? The set of all closed sentences that are true in N is a theory, and
it's complete - but it isn't decidable.

--
Cheers,
Herman Jurjus