From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

I would like to know, for some devices that I have (e.g. PDA,
calculator, etc.), the maximum magnetic field they can cope with. How
can I know it, without testing (obviously), and if no such information
are displayed on the device's sheet? Thanks.
From: Phil Allison on

"Merciadri Luca"

> I would like to know, for some devices that I have (e.g. PDA,
> calculator, etc.), the maximum magnetic field they can cope with.

** Why don't you post details of the actual scenario you are considering ??

What IS the source of your imaginary magnetic field ??

A loudspeaker magnet or an MRI machine ???

> How
> can I know it, without testing (obviously), and if no such information
> are displayed on the device's sheet?

** It's not specified cos there is no meaningful way to specify such a thing
and very few people would be the least bit interested.

...... Phil

From: Merciadri Luca on
On May 15, 5:10 am, "Phil Allison" <phi...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
> "Merciadri Luca"
>

> > I would like to know, for some devices that I have (e.g. PDA,
> > calculator, etc.), the maximum magnetic field they can cope with.
>
> ** Why don't you post details of the actual scenario you are considering ??
>
>   What  IS  the source of your imaginary magnetic field ??
>
>   A loudspeaker magnet or an  MRI  machine ???
Not MRI machines, evidently, but I have one calculator and one PDA,
and both could be important for me at work. If I have to work in an
environment where the magnetic field is intense, and that I carry
them, I do not want them to be broken in some way. I can't foresee the
place where I am going to work at, but I can predict that if the
magnetic field is too important (i.e. special plant), my devices won't
resist to it.

> ** It's not specified cos there is no meaningful way to specify such a thing
> and very few people would be the least bit interested.
Why? The wrapper device's shells are known, and the chemical and
physical properties of these shells are known. Experimental, or at
least theoretical measures can be done to know, at least
approximatively, the maximum magnetic field the different devices can
cope with. This looks like an important characteristic of a device,
especially if this device is an engineering device. How can you go to
some plant with high magnetic fields (i.e. physics research, etc.),
carry your personal devices, and know if they are still going to work
there, or at least if they are not going to be broken, or undergo data
corruption?
From: Tom Biasi on

"Merciadri Luca" <merciadriluca(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On May 15, 5:10 am, "Phil Allison" <phi...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
> "Merciadri Luca"

Why? The wrapper device's shells are known, and the chemical and
physical properties of these shells are known. Experimental, or at
least theoretical measures can be done to know, at least
approximatively, the maximum magnetic field the different devices can
cope with. This looks like an important characteristic of a device,
especially if this device is an engineering device. How can you go to
some plant with high magnetic fields (i.e. physics research, etc.),
carry your personal devices, and know if they are still going to work
there, or at least if they are not going to be broken, or undergo data
corruption?

Wouldn't there be restrictions on what you could bring into these areas?
You really can walk around with things in your pocket anywhere you want?

From: Merciadri Luca on
On May 15, 3:18 pm, "Tom Biasi" <tombi...(a)optonline.net> wrote:
> "Merciadri Luca" <merciadril...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> On May 15, 5:10 am, "Phil Allison" <phi...(a)tpg.com.au> wrote:
>
> > "Merciadri Luca"
>
> Why? The wrapper device's shells are known, and the chemical and
> physical properties of these shells are known. Experimental, or at
> least theoretical measures can be done to know, at least
> approximatively, the maximum magnetic field the different devices can
> cope with. This looks like an important characteristic of a device,
> especially if this device is an engineering device. How can you go to
> some plant with high magnetic fields (i.e. physics research, etc.),
> carry your personal devices, and know if they are still going to work
> there, or at least if they are not going to be broken, or undergo data
> corruption?
>
> Wouldn't there be restrictions on what you could bring into these areas?
> You really can walk around with things in your pocket anywhere you want?

Yes, but it might be shown `only devices coping with magnetic fields
<= x T can be brought here', and you do not know what you can do, in
this case, because you do not know the magnetic fields your devices
can cope with. It is not always said `don't bring your calculator or
any device here.'