From: Erik on
I've got data that can contain a long text string for one field. I currently
merge 6 cells across and set the rowheight to 6 times the normal row height,
and enable text wrapping. Sometimes this is too much space, other times it's
not enough. Fonts unfortunately don't space characters uniformly, so I can't
do it based on text length. Is there a way to do this based on how many
breaks Excel puts in when wrapping text, or another method?
From: Gord Dibben on
You can Autofit rows with merged cells only by using VBA.

One of the many drawbacks to using merged cells.

If you want to go that route...............

See google search thread for code by Greg Wilson. Watch out for word wrap
in the URL which is all one line.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_frm/thread/2293ac4e6373c4d3/ca1c160cbeb27874?lnk=st&q=&rnum=4#ca1c160cbeb27874

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP