From: bob urz on
Is there anyway to tell what Windows update is doing at any given time?
I am on dial up and some updates seems to take forever.
It will tell you its updating and the percentage, but it will NOT tell
you.

How can you tell which update is actually being downloaded?

bob
From: VanguardLH on
bob urz wrote:

> Is there anyway to tell what Windows update is doing at any given time?
> I am on dial up and some updates seems to take forever.
> It will tell you its updating and the percentage, but it will NOT tell
> you.
>
> How can you tell which update is actually being downloaded?
>
> bob

Configure the Automatic Updates service in Windows XP to *notify* (the safe
setup) rather than download and install (a hazardous setup). If you let
anyone, including Microsoft, change your host's software configuration
whenever they choose then you chose not to have any control over your setup.
When you elect to notify only, you can review what are the proposed updates
and even go to links explaining them.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

If you select the Notify Only option, you'll know which updates have been
approved for download and which updates have been approved for
installation...because you will have approved same.

From: Bob I on
Set Update to notify only, and then YOU pick them one at a time to
download and install.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[There's that goddamn echo again!]