From: Help me! Help on
I don't even know how ready only got put on in the first place.
From: Jim Thomlinson on
Read only is controlled by your operating system and not by Excel. To turn it
off in Windows explorer select the file and right click. Select properites
and on the General tab de-select read only.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

From: Jim Thomlinson on
I should have asked if the file read only or read only recommended. If it is
read only recommended then when it is opened you will be prompted to open it
read only or not. If that is the case then that is controlled by XL and needs
be be changed using SaveAs -> General Options -> Deselect Read Only
Recommended.
It does not sound like that is your issue but your post is short on details.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson