From: fynnashba on
Hello'
I have built a mic amp and wanted to check the wave form on a
scope but when I connect the probes to the o/p of the amp the power
supply trips (The Mic operates on 9 volt single rail.) I connected the
scopes ground probe to the -ve (common) and the output to the other
probe. the scope works alright with a signal generator. The Mic also
works on a power Amp but with some noise.
What might be the problem?
From: whit3rd on
On Jun 30, 11:38 am, "fynnas...(a)yahoo.com" <fynnas...(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>       I have built a mic amp and wanted to check the wave form on a
> scope but when I connect the probes to the o/p of the amp the power
> supply trips (The Mic operates on 9 volt single rail.)

Is one of your scope probes a GROUND connection? Couple to the
microphone amp output through a coupling transformer, see if that
helps.

Which power supply trips, the scope, or the microphone amp? What
are the specifications of that power supply?
From: fynnashba on
On Jun 30, 8:15 pm, whit3rd <whit...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 30, 11:38 am, "fynnas...(a)yahoo.com" <fynnas...(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >       I have built a mic amp and wanted to check the wave form on a
> > scope but when I connect the probes to the o/p of the amp the power
> > supply trips (The Mic operates on 9 volt single rail.)
>
> Is one of your scope probes a GROUND connection?  Couple to the
> microphone amp output through a coupling transformer, see if that
> helps.
>
> Which power supply trips, the scope, or the microphone amp?  What
> are the specifications of that power supply?

Thanks
no the ground connection of the scope is connected directly to the
Amp
Its the power supply connected to the amp that trips or reads about 4
volts instead of 9v
The current of the PSU was set to 1 Ampere.
Please, generally, how do you check the responds of an audio Amp on
the scope? I mean how the probes are connected.
From: tm on

<fynnashba(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Jun 30, 8:15 pm, whit3rd <whit...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 30, 11:38 am, "fynnas...(a)yahoo.com" <fynnas...(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have built a mic amp and wanted to check the wave form on a
> > scope but when I connect the probes to the o/p of the amp the power
> > supply trips (The Mic operates on 9 volt single rail.)
>
> Is one of your scope probes a GROUND connection? Couple to the
> microphone amp output through a coupling transformer, see if that
> helps.
>
> Which power supply trips, the scope, or the microphone amp? What
> are the specifications of that power supply?

..Thanks
.. no the ground connection of the scope is connected directly to the
..Amp
..Its the power supply connected to the amp that trips or reads about 4
..volts instead of 9v
..The current of the PSU was set to 1 Ampere.
..Please, generally, how do you check the responds of an audio Amp on
..the scope? I mean how the probes are connected.

Do you have a two channel scope? Can you invert and add one of the
channels? If so, make a differential connection to the output with the scope
ground connected to the chassis ground of the amp. Put the inverted probe
on the low side of the output and the non-inverted probe on the high side.
The vertical gain for both channels must be the same and in the calibrated
mode.

From: William Sommerwerck on
I suspect the original poster doesn't know much about electronics. We should
stop trying to help him, and ask that he find someone "local" (in his own
country) who can explain how to use test equipment.