From: Bo on
I need to determine the status of a server built by another Admin before he
left the company. One of my tasks is to determine if the SQL 2005 workgroup
SQL was installed as a default instance or a named instance. Can someone
either tell me how or direct me to a document please. Thank you.
From: Erland Sommarskog on
Bo (Bo(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> I need to determine the status of a server built by another Admin before
> he left the company. One of my tasks is to determine if the SQL 2005
> workgroup SQL was installed as a default instance or a named instance.
> Can someone either tell me how or direct me to a document please. Thank
> you.

Do you know how to connect to the server? In that case you know the
answer. If you need to specify \NAME, it's a named instance, else not.

Else, open SQL Server Configuration and look at the SQL Server Service.
If it is called MSSQLSERVER it is a default instance, else it's a named
instance.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: SQLSQUIRREL on
Hi Bo,

As Erland pointed out, you can look in the SQL Server Configuration to
determine if there is a named or default instance installed. Another way to
determine between a default and named instance is using Powershell. Follow
up with with this article to learn how to use Powershell to determine between
default and named instances. Here is the article:
http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=2013

SQL Squirrel
http://www.lockergnome.com/sqlsquirrel/

From: LenClark on
If you're really not sure, there is a simple method: run SQL Server
Configuration Manager (you can find it in Configuration Tools). Then click
on SQL Server XXXX Services and you'll see all your SQL services defined with
the instance name in brackets. If the instance name is MSSQLSERVER) then
it's a default instance, otherwise the name is the name of the instance that
you need to add to your connection string.