From: blur959 on
Hi, all, Is there a way to get a number of files in a particular
directory? I tried using os.walk, os.listdir but they are return me
with a list, tuple of the files, etc. But I want it to return a
number. Is it possible?
From: Bruno Desthuilliers on
blur959 a �crit :
> Hi, all, Is there a way to get a number of files in a particular
> directory? I tried using os.walk, os.listdir but they are return me
> with a list, tuple of the files, etc. But I want it to return a
> number. Is it possible?

len(any_sequence)
From: Cameron Simpson on
On 13Aug2010 00:54, blur959 <blur959(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
| Hi, all, Is there a way to get a number of files in a particular
| directory? I tried using os.walk, os.listdir but they are return me
| with a list, tuple of the files, etc. But I want it to return a
| number. Is it possible?

Measure the length of the list returned to you? The len() built in
function suggests itself...
--
Cameron Simpson <cs(a)zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/
From: blur959 on
Hi, I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. My file directory has
many different files extensions, and I want it to return me a number
based on the number of files with similar files extensions. But when I
tried running it, I get many weird numbers. Below is my code i had so
far and the result.

import os

directory = raw_input("Please input file directory. \n\n")
s = raw_input("Please input a name to replace. \n\n")
ext = raw_input("input file ext")

for files in os.listdir(directory):
if ext in files:
file_number = len(files)
print file_number

The result is:
13
13
13
6
15
8
10
10
8
7
5

where the result should be just 11. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

From: Stefan Schwarzer on
On 2010-08-13 11:18, blur959 wrote:
> import os
>
> directory = raw_input("Please input file directory. \n\n")
> s = raw_input("Please input a name to replace. \n\n")
> ext = raw_input("input file ext")
>
> for files in os.listdir(directory):
> if ext in files:
> file_number = len(files)
> print file_number
>

> The result is:
> 13
> 13
> 13
> 6
> 15
> 8
> 10
> 10
> 8
> 7
> 5
>
> where the result should be just 11. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

`os.listdir` returns a list of names. What you named
`files` should actually be `filename`. What you got
printed in the loop are the lengths of each filename.

Stefan