From: spamlet on

"VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> LynnD wrote:
>
>> More information. I have unplugged and checked every single USB item on
>> my
>> computer. I have tried to Hide it in "Customize notifications." This
>> message pops up every few seconds, and I can't get rid of it. Since I
>> work
>> on this computer, I really need to fix this.
>
> You sure every USB device has been unplugged? Do you have internal
> devices
> that use USB ports, like a card reader?
>
> After supposedly unplugging every USB device from all external USB ports
> and
> all internal USB devices from internal USB ports (i.e., headers on the
> motherboard), what do you see when you look in Device Management
> (devmgmt.msc) under the USB category?
>
> You can also USBView to see what devices might be connected to which USB
> controllers.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560019(VS.85).aspx
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838100
>
> It came on the Windows 98 Resource Kit. It can be downloaded from:
>
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Services/TechNet/samples/PS/Win98/Reskit/DIAGNOSE/USBVIEW.EXE
>
> An updated version is called UVCView and is at:
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/a/eba1050f-a31d-436b-9281-%20%3E%3E%3E%2092%20cdfeae4b45/UVCView.x86.exe
>
> Nirsoft has their own USBDevView utility at:
>
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
>
> It not only shows the currently connected USB devices but also those that
> remained enumerated in the registry; i.e., they had been previously
> connected, enumerated to record their description, and that info gets
> reused
> when you later plug in that same device.

I'll second that usbdeview, its very useful for quickly seeing whats what
and whether it is safe to remove. I keep a link to it on my quick launch
bar, and often use it. Also gives you a handle on who else might have been
plugging in devices you were unaware of...

From: Don Phillipson on
"LynnD" <LynnD(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> More information. I have unplugged and checked every single USB item on
my
> computer. I have tried to Hide it in "Customize notifications." This
> message pops up every few seconds, and I can't get rid of it. Since I
work
> on this computer, I really need to fix this.

Now that printers are programmable many of them include
chip reader which the OS thinks is a USB pseudodrive
(usually empty.) If this is your problem, you may need
to suppress the report in the printer rather than the PC.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

First  |  Prev  |