From: Mark Hobley on
How do I get espeak to produce the phonic sounds of letters, rather than
the names of the letters?

If I type:

espeak 'a, b, c, d, e, f, g'

This gives "ay bee see dee ee eff jee"

I am writing some educational software and I need to be able to produce
the short sounds.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: DenverD on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> How do I get espeak to produce the phonic sounds of letters, rather than
> the names of the letters?
>
> If I type:
>
> espeak 'a, b, c, d, e, f, g'
>
> This gives "ay bee see dee ee eff jee"
>
> I am writing some educational software and I need to be able to produce
> the short sounds.

letters change their sound according to conventional accenting and/or
how they are used, not to mention local dialects--but they don't
change their 'name'..

simple example:

the sound of 'a' changes in this series:
par paw ape zap apple Zagreb Zaire..

so, i guess you have to find the *complete* list of vowel and
consonant sounds, both standing alone and as influenced by the other
letters nearby, *and* the dialect you wish to educate...and feed not
the letter 'a' but instead the _sound_ of the 'a' you want, as in
which precise 'a' sound to use for the very different sounding words
of "tomato" (US) or "tomato" (UK)?

how else could you program espeak to know which discreet sound to pick
(instead of repeating the name, each time)?

--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (20090817),
KDE 3.5.7 "release 72-11", openSUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.19-0.4-default
#1 SMP i686 athlon
From: Mark Hobley on
DenverD <spam.trap(a)somewhere.dk> wrote:
> how else could you program espeak to know which discreet sound to pick
> (instead of repeating the name, each time)?

I would use a, b, c, d, e as normal phonics and ay bee see dee ee as the
letter names.

Mark.

From: DenverD on
Mark Hobley wrote:
> DenverD <spam.trap(a)somewhere.dk> wrote:
>> how else could you program espeak to know which discreet sound to pick
>> (instead of repeating the name, each time)?
>
> I would use a, b, c, d, e as normal phonics and ay bee see dee ee as the
> letter names.

but, the "normal phonics" include several different sounds for each of
those letters...only the sound of their name remains constant..

for example, 'e' is always named 'ee' (according to you) but the 'e'
in 'see' doesn't sound at all like the 'e' in 'sled'..

and, 'ice' in Detroit doesn't sound like 'ice' in Memphis..

and 'New Orleans' *in* New Orleans doesn't sound anything like the way
others say that word anywhere else in the world..

in the "crescent city" anyone there will happy to tell you they live
in Nahlinz.

see??

#1 SMP i686 athlon
From: Mark Hobley on
DenverD <spam.trap(a)somewhere.dk> wrote:
> but, the "normal phonics" include several different sounds for each of
> those letters...only the sound of their name remains constant..

Right so maybe we need different some additional digraphs and trigraphs
for variant phonic sounds.

> for example, 'e' is always named 'ee' (according to you) but the 'e'
> in 'see' doesn't sound at all like the 'e' in 'sled'..

I would expect 'espeak sled' to pronounce the word sled as it would be
pronounced in the current locale.

Here in the West Midlands (England), the eh in sled is the normal phonic
for the letter e, whereas the 'ee' in 'see' is the long sound that names
the letter 'e'.

> and, 'ice' in Detroit doesn't sound like 'ice' in Memphis..
> and 'New Orleans' *in* New Orleans doesn't sound anything like the way
> others say that word anywhere else in the world..
> in the "crescent city" anyone there will happy to tell you they live
> in Nahlinz.

Ok, so maybe locale needs to be effective here. We really need some more
voices, and possibly additional language options here.

Mark.