From: John John - MVP on
njem wrote:
> On Jan 22, 1:59 pm, John John - MVP <audetw...(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/06/28/how-windows-star...
>> Ntdebugging Blog : How Windows Starts Up (Part the second)
>>
>> http://www.tar.hu/wininternals/ch05lev1sec1.html
>> Boot Process
>>

> Well I read the references, but it leaves me wondering why that time I
> deleted the hiberfile it still tried to resume. Oh well. At least on
> laptops I know the battery trick works.

Boot to the Recovery Console and delete the hiberfil.sys file.

What happens when you hit the Spacebar or F8 key before Windows loads?
Hibernation is a pretty finicky thing at best of times. Buggy drivers
and marginal hardware can put a kybosh on all of it in a hurry.

John
From: Yousuf Khan on
Pavel A. wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> ... If a hibernate flag were set in the NVRAM of the BIOS, then if you
>> had Linux installed on the same machine, it too would be hibernated.
>> You can hibernate Linux and it won't affect Windows, and vice-versa.
>> It's just a flag that's set in the filesystem of each operating
>> system's boot drive.
>
> What would be the desired user experience?
> Suppose you have OS A and OS B on same machine, and hibernated OS A.
> Would you then prefer OS A to resume automatically, or have a choice to
> boot OS B?

OS A would resume automatically if you put it on standby, you would have
no choice on that one. But if you put it on hibernate, then it would go
through the initial boot and then you can choose to go into either A or
B; if you went back to A, then it would resume from a hibernate, unless
you told it to ignore the resume file (you could do that by pressing F8
key during initial part of the Windows booting).

Yousuf Khan
From: SC Tom on

"John John - MVP" <audetweld(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
> njem wrote:
>> On Jan 21, 10:00 pm, John John - MVP <audetw...(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:
>>> Ntldr looks for and parses the hiberfil.sys file, if the file is
>>> found to be valid it is loaded into memory and the Windows kernel
>>> takes control of the session. Any changes that you make to the
>>> computer after it is shut down can potentially prevent the computer
>>> from resuming from hibernation, undocking a laptop or something as
>>> simple as plugging/unplugging USB devices can prevent the computer
>>> from sucessfully resuming from hibernation. I suspect that
>>> removing your battery for an extended period resets certain
>>> settings in the BIOS and this prevents the computer from resuming
>>> from hibernation. When the computer successfully resumes the
>>> hyberfil.sys file is marked as inactive, this prevents ntldr from
>>
>> I think we're all working in the dark. As noted to SC Tom, if it were
>> strictly an OS function then bios wouldn't have to support it.
>
> The computer has to be ACPI compliant so that the operating system can
> tell it to shut itself off. The devices also need to be Plug and Play
> compliant, Plug and Play also requires that the computer be ACPI
> compliant.
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/06/28/how-windows-starts-up-part-the-second.aspx
> Ntdebugging Blog : How Windows Starts Up (Part the second)
>
> http://www.tar.hu/wininternals/ch05lev1sec1.html
> Boot Process
>
> John

Thanks, John, good stuff! I hadn't gone through anything like that since
upgrading from NT3.51 to NT4.0 LOL!
--
SC Tom