From: notbob on
On 2010-05-03, root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:

> How do you Slack users that need access to
> these sites manage to update your Flash?

Do a manual install of the proper file.

Instead of using the intall program, go to Adobe flash website and
look for a linux flash download. There are several pkgs, including tar.gz file.
Download the tar.gz file and unpack the archive. This should give you
a single libflashplayer.so file. Take the new .so file and replace your
old .so file. Bingo!

This file is typically in the /usr/lib/ directory.

For Firefox, it should be /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.

For seamonkey, it's /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

YMMV

If you can't find the old file, do a slocate as root or su.

nb
From: CSM 'illovae' Seldon on
notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> writes:

> On 2010-05-03, root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:
>
>> How do you Slack users that need access to
>> these sites manage to update your Flash?
>
> Do a manual install of the proper file.

Or you can install a pkg via sbopkg (Slackbuild). Flash-plugin non-free
is available under multimedia/flash-player-plugin

-- illovae.

--
CSM 'illovae' Seldon druuna (at) dud-t.org |
Member of dud-t group gopher://12.dud-t.org |
From: Eef Hartman on
notbob <notbob(a)nothome.com> wrote:
> For Firefox, it should be /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
>
> For seamonkey, it's /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

And for the _standard_ Slackware packages for those two applications,
it is in
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
for BOTH! Tha is one of the enhancements Pat makes in the SLW packages,
that they will also look in that directory for plugins, so you only
have to replace the plugins once, not twice.

PS: the original problem of not being able to upgrade was probably
because the OP was doing it as "normal user", while the _installed_
version of Flash was onder a root-only modifyable directory
(in the /usr tree).

User-mode upgrade only works when the "to be replaced" plugin is in
that user's $HOME/.mozilla tree too, so that the "old" version can
be replaced BY the upgrade.
System-wide plugins (like the ones in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins)
can only be upgraded by a superuser (and preferable by hand, NOT
through using the upgrade option in firefox).
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-278 82525 **
From: root on
Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:

> PS: the original problem of not being able to upgrade was probably
> because the OP was doing it as "normal user", while the _installed_
> version of Flash was onder a root-only modifyable directory
> (in the /usr tree).

I was running as root when I attempted the "install now" option.

> User-mode upgrade only works when the "to be replaced" plugin is in
> that user's $HOME/.mozilla tree too, so that the "old" version can
> be replaced BY the upgrade.

libflashplayer.so was here:

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/firefox-3.5.2/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/root/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/root/.netscape/flash_linux/libflashplayer.so

> System-wide plugins (like the ones in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins)
> can only be upgraded by a superuser (and preferable by hand, NOT
> through using the upgrade option in firefox).

As I said, I was running as root.
From: tapp on
Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> [Wed, 05 May 2010 11:48:29 +0200]

> And for the _standard_ Slackware packages for those two applications, it
> is in
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
> for BOTH! Tha is one of the enhancements Pat makes in the SLW packages,

I don't think so. I normally update my Mozilla software directly from a
mirror of their FTP tree, because I have various versions and
localizations installed in /opt for different users, and those versions
all look in that directory you mention.

Ironically, the Flash plugin I do update via pkg, using the packages at
http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-13.0/system/flash-player-plugin/