From: David Sexton on
On Apr 3, 3:36 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> The test statistic of the autocorreoation test for randomness
> (see HAC, p.182, X_5) is claimed to approximately follow an N(0,1)
> distribution if n-d>=10. I couldn't find any detailed explanation
> of this in a dozen of statistic textbooks accessible to me that are
> relevant to the issue. Could some expert kindly help?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> M. K. Shen

Doesn't the statistic equal the number of standard deviations above
population mean?

That makes sense because the example gives a threshold of 1.96 for a
0.05 level of significance. These numbers (according to the text)
come from Table 5.1. Table 5.1 is "Selected Percentiles of the
Standard Normal Distribution."

David
From: WTShaw on
On Apr 4, 4:29 pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> David Sexton wrote:
> > Doesn't the statistic equal the number of standard deviations above
> > population mean?
>
> > That makes sense because the example gives a threshold of 1.96 for a
> > 0.05 level of significance.  These numbers (according to the text)
> > come from Table 5.1.  Table 5.1 is "Selected Percentiles of the
> > Standard Normal Distribution."
>
> Sorry for my poor comprehension. Could you explain a bit more how
> (why) the A(d), which is the xor of the bits at distance d, goes in that
> "specific" form into the formaula for the stated test statistic there?
>
> M. K. Shen

It must be because it looked like a secure form of magic when drawn on
a chalkboard.
From: David Sexton on
On Apr 4, 2:29 pm, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> David Sexton wrote:
> > Doesn't the statistic equal the number of standard deviations above
> > population mean?
>
> > That makes sense because the example gives a threshold of 1.96 for a
> > 0.05 level of significance. These numbers (according to the text)
> > come from Table 5.1. Table 5.1 is "Selected Percentiles of the
> > Standard Normal Distribution."
>
> Sorry for my poor comprehension. Could you explain a bit more how
> (why) the A(d), which is the xor of the bits at distance d, goes in that
> "specific" form into the formaula for the stated test statistic there?
>
> M. K. Shen

For that test I would use, and have used, a chi-squared statistic.
Nevertheless, I should be able to remember what this one-sided test
statistic is called. I don't. I'll keep thinking about it and
looking around; it bothers me that I can't remember.

In the mean time.... The probablility that a bit in will be different
than another bit in the sequence at a given offset should be 0.5. In
the formula, (n - d) is the number of bits considered. There are no
bits at offset "d" with which to xor the other "d" bits in the
sequence, which is "n" bits long. So, (n - d) bits all have a 0.5
probability of being 1. The "expected" number of 1s is (n - d) / 2.
A(d) - (n - d)/2 is the difference between the observed number of 1s
and the expected number of 1s.

The whole statistic must be equal to the number of standard deviations
away from (n - d)/2 of A(d). The test depends on the fact that, for a
large number of trials, the binomial distribution approximates the
normal (Gaussian) distribution.

David