From: Nicolas Neuss on
Kazimir Majorinc <email(a)false.false> writes:

> How many people use Lisp (all dialects
> combined) today? My guess: 3000, based
> on the membership on various Lisp forums.
> Anyone with better guess?

30,000,000? (Could easily be an order of magnitude more or less.)
Including Emacs users and users of software with Lisp-like configuration
languages.

> When Lisp was the most popular, in
> relative or absolute numbers? How many
> people used it at that time?

0? 1000? 100 billion? Whatever answer you want, because Lisp was never
the most popular language.

Nicolas
From: Asgeir on
Nicolas Neuss <lastname(a)kit.edu> writes:
> Kazimir Majorinc <email(a)false.false> writes:
>
>> How many people use Lisp (all dialects
>> combined) today? My guess: 3000, based
>> on the membership on various Lisp forums.
>> Anyone with better guess?
>
> 30,000,000? (Could easily be an order of magnitude more or less.)
> Including Emacs users and users of software with Lisp-like configuration
> languages.
>
>> When Lisp was the most popular, in
>> relative or absolute numbers? How many
>> people used it at that time?
>
> 0? 1000? 100 billion? Whatever answer you want, because Lisp was never
> the most popular language.
>
> Nicolas

I think he was talking about:
- people using Lisp to program by choice or maybe professional
obligation, but not people using Lisp to configure their favorite text
editor;
- "what has been the maximum number of people using Lisp?" more than
"how many people used Lisp when it was the most popular programming
language in all times".

--
Asgeir
From: Tim Bradshaw on

8

From: Nicolas Neuss on
Asgeir <asgeir(a)free.fr> writes:

> Nicolas Neuss <lastname(a)kit.edu> writes:
>> Kazimir Majorinc <email(a)false.false> writes:
>>
>>> How many people use Lisp (all dialects
>>> combined) today? My guess: 3000, based
>>> on the membership on various Lisp forums.
>>> Anyone with better guess?
>>
>> 30,000,000? (Could easily be an order of magnitude more or less.)
>> Including Emacs users and users of software with Lisp-like configuration
>> languages.
>>
>>> When Lisp was the most popular, in
>>> relative or absolute numbers? How many
>>> people used it at that time?
>>
>> 0? 1000? 100 billion? Whatever answer you want, because Lisp was never
>> the most popular language.
>>
>> Nicolas
>
> I think he was talking about:
> - people using Lisp to program by choice or maybe professional
> obligation, but not people using Lisp to configure their favorite text
> editor;

> - "what has been the maximum number of people using Lisp?" more than
> "how many people used Lisp when it was the most popular programming
> language in all times".

Maybe, but the data on all this is so uncertain that only a troll would
like to have answers for such questions.

Nicolas
From: Alex Mizrahi on
KM> How many people use Lisp (all dialects
KM> combined) today? My guess: 3000, based
KM> on the membership on various Lisp forums.
KM> Anyone with better guess?

FWTW, Peter Seibel have estimated [1] that more than 10,000 copies of his
book _Practical Common Lisp_ are going to be sold, because first two prints
produces 8000 copies, and publisher made a third print.

I guess it depends a lot on what you count as use. You know, some schools or
univesities might teach Lisp or Scheme. Do those students "use" Lisp?

[1]: http://www.gigamonkeys.com/blog/2007/05/26/pcl-third-printing.html