From: Tim Bradshaw on
I've got an HP48GX with ALG48 & Erable. Until recently I thought I
would buy one of the personal editions of Maple/Mathematica to replace
it (obviously much more comprehensive systems), but I'd secretly kind
of like to get an HP50G since (being sad) I often think about maths in
bed &c and my needs are quite limited.

How much better is the algebra system on the HP50G? The two problems I
find on the HP48 are that it is often really painfully slow and I spend
quite a lot of time massaging things so that the simplifier will
realise they are the same. So if both of those are easier on the newer
calculator I might be tempted.

Thanks

--tim

From: TW on
On Oct 14, 1:06 pm, Tim Bradshaw <t...(a)tfeb.org> wrote:
> I've got an HP48GX with ALG48 & Erable.  Until recently I thought I
> would buy one of the personal editions of Maple/Mathematica to replace
> it (obviously much more comprehensive systems), but I'd secretly kind
> of like to get an HP50G since (being sad) I often think about maths in
> bed &c and my needs are quite limited.
>
> How much better is the algebra system on the HP50G?  The two problems I
> find on the HP48 are that it is often really painfully slow and I spend
> quite a lot of time massaging things so that the simplifier will
> realise they are the same.  So if both of those are easier on the newer
> calculator I might be tempted.
>
> Thanks
>
> --tim

Install Debug4x (http://debug4x.com) and you will have a 50g emulator
installed. Then you can give it a try. Check the option in the
configuration to run at real speed, and you will have a good idea.

Set to RPN right off, and turn off CHOOSE boxes and you will feel
right at home.

As to simplification, it is very similar to alg48 and erable since
those formed the basis of the CAS on the 50. It will definitely be
much nicer to use, and quicker, but there are many that may have a
different opinion on that. . .

TW
From: PeterW on
The difference between HP48 and HP50 is not only speed, but also
better performance of the CAS. For me, using the HP50 CAS is more
comfortable, since the CAS elements are fully integrated into RPN.

If you think about Maple or similar programs, you should also give
a chance to Maxima, which you can download for free from
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
I compared this to Maple and found it for my work to be equal
good as Maple.
From: datajerk on
On Oct 15, 7:30 am, PeterW <P.Wannenwet...(a)online.de> wrote:
> The difference between HP48 and HP50 is not only speed, but also
> better performance of the CAS. For me, using the HP50 CAS is more
> comfortable, since the CAS elements are fully integrated into RPN.
>
> If you think about Maple or similar programs, you should also give
> a chance to Maxima, which you can download for free fromhttp://maxima.sourceforge.net/documentation.html
> I compared this to Maple and found it for my work to be equal
> good as Maple.

If you like Maxima, then check out Sage. Sage includes Maxima and a
lot more. If you install the fonts, then you get pretty print output
to the screen. Sage feels a bit like Maple and Mathematica, but uses
Python for the programming environment. Sage is client/server. Once
you have the server setup, you just point a web browser at it. Plots,
interactive 3D graphics, etc.. all there. Checkout sagemath.org.

Pages: 1
Prev: Calculating series sum
Next: nth derivative