From: Immortalist on
Beginning with Thomas Nagel, various philosophers have proposed
setting conscious experience apart from all other problems of the mind
as "the most difficult problem." When critically examined, the basis
for this proposal reveals itself to be unconvincing and counter-
productive. Use of our current ignorance as a premise to determine
what we can never discover is one common logical flaw. Use of "I-
cannot-imagine" arguments is a related flaw. When not much is known
about a domain of phenomena, our inability to imagine a mechanism is a
rather uninteresting psychological fact about us, not an interesting
metaphysical fact about the world. Rather than worrying too much about
the meta-problem of whether or not consciousness is uniquely hard, I
propose we get on with the task of seeing how far we get when we
address neurobiologically the problems of mental phenomena.

The Hornswoggle Problem.
by Patricia Smith Churchland.
http://www.wm-johnston.co.uk/philosophy/hornswoggle.htm

To fill out the point, consider several telling examples from the
history of science. Before the turn of the twentieth century, people
thought that the problem of the precession of the perihelion of
Mercury was essentially trivial. It was annoying, but ultimately, it
would sort itself out as more data came in. With the advantage of
hindsight, we can see that assessing this as an easy problem was quite
wrong -- it took the Einsteinian revolution in physics to solve the
problem of the precession of the perihelion of Mercury. By contrast, a
really hard problem was thought to be the composition of the stars.
How could a sample ever be obtained? With the advent of spectral
analysis, that turned out to be a readily solvable problem. When
heated, the elements turn out to have a kind of fingerprint, easily
seen when light emitted from a source is passed through a prism...

....What is the point...? ...reinforce[s] the message of the argument
from ignorance: from the vantage point of ignorance, it is often very
difficult to tell which problem is harder, which will fall first, what
problem will turn out to be more tractable than some other.
Consequently our judgments about relative difficulty or ultimate
tractability should be appropriately qualified and tentative....
From: Giga2 on
On 23 July, 01:43, Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Beginning with Thomas Nagel, various philosophers have proposed
> setting conscious experience apart from all other problems of the mind
> as "the most difficult problem." When critically examined, the basis
> for this proposal reveals itself to be unconvincing and counter-
> productive. Use of our current ignorance as a premise to determine
> what we can never discover is one common logical flaw. Use of "I-
> cannot-imagine" arguments is a related flaw. When not much is known
> about a domain of phenomena, our inability to imagine a mechanism is a
> rather uninteresting psychological fact about us, not an interesting
> metaphysical fact about the world. Rather than worrying too much about
> the meta-problem of whether or not consciousness is uniquely hard, I
> propose we get on with the task of seeing how far we get when we
> address neurobiologically the problems of mental phenomena.
>
> The Hornswoggle Problem.
> by Patricia Smith Churchland.http://www.wm-johnston.co.uk/philosophy/hornswoggle.htm
>
> To fill out the point, consider several telling examples from the
> history of science. Before the turn of the twentieth century, people
> thought that the problem of the precession of the perihelion of
> Mercury was essentially trivial. It was annoying, but ultimately, it
> would sort itself out as more data came in. With the advantage of
> hindsight, we can see that assessing this as an easy problem was quite
> wrong -- it took the Einsteinian revolution in physics to solve the
> problem of the precession of the perihelion of Mercury. By contrast, a
> really hard problem was thought to be the composition of the stars.
> How could a sample ever be obtained? With the advent of spectral
> analysis, that turned out to be a readily solvable problem. When
> heated, the elements turn out to have a kind of fingerprint, easily
> seen when light emitted from a source is passed through a prism...
>
> ...What is the point...? ...reinforce[s] the message of the argument
> from ignorance: from the vantage point of ignorance, it is often very
> difficult to tell which problem is harder, which will fall first, what
> problem will turn out to be more tractable than some other.
> Consequently our judgments about relative difficulty or ultimate
> tractability should be appropriately qualified and tentative....

Very true.
From: Neon on
On Jul 23, 1:43 am, Immortalist <reanimater_2...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Beginning with Thomas Nagel, various philosophers have proposed
> setting conscious experience apart from all other problems of the mind
> as "the most difficult problem." When critically examined, the basis
> for this proposal reveals itself to be unconvincing and counter-
> productive. Use of our current ignorance as a premise to determine
> what we can never discover is one common logical flaw. Use of "I-
> cannot-imagine" arguments is a related flaw. When not much is known
> about a domain of phenomena, our inability to imagine a mechanism is a
> rather uninteresting psychological fact about us, not an interesting
> metaphysical fact about the world. Rather than worrying too much about
> the meta-problem of whether or not consciousness is uniquely hard, I
> propose we get on with the task of seeing how far we get when we
> address neurobiologically the problems of mental phenomena.
>
> The Hornswoggle Problem.
> by Patricia Smith Churchland.http://www.wm-johnston.co.uk/philosophy/hornswoggle.htm
>
> To fill out the point, consider several telling examples from the
> history of science. Before the turn of the twentieth century, people
> thought that the problem of the precession of the perihelion of
> Mercury was essentially trivial. It was annoying, but ultimately, it
> would sort itself out as more data came in. With the advantage of
> hindsight, we can see that assessing this as an easy problem was quite
> wrong -- it took the Einsteinian revolution in physics to solve the
> problem of the precession of the perihelion of Mercury. By contrast, a
> really hard problem was thought to be the composition of the stars.
> How could a sample ever be obtained? With the advent of spectral
> analysis, that turned out to be a readily solvable problem. When
> heated, the elements turn out to have a kind of fingerprint, easily
> seen when light emitted from a source is passed through a prism...
>
> ...What is the point...? ...reinforce[s] the message of the argument
> from ignorance: from the vantage point of ignorance, it is often very
> difficult to tell which problem is harder, which will fall first, what
> problem will turn out to be more tractable than some other.
> Consequently our judgments about relative difficulty or ultimate
> tractability should be appropriately qualified and tentative....

How do we percieve ourselves in imaginary landscapes? I was looking
at some very old illustrations from a newspaper, before photography
was invented, so instances when some reported event occurred would
have had to have been illustrated by some guy who only had the report
to go by. Editors generally go thru news reports and most likely have
given the text that needed illustrating to an artist. The more
information you have the better the picture can be built up. Certain
'illusions' about area space, time, perspective run concurrently with
developments in text, type and literacy, so some people won't even
need perspective, just so long as events along a time scale are
reported. The identity of the individuals in a scene, first, second
and third person, groups and you the observer outside the picture.....
like you were looking into a room from the realworld into a additional
area space separated by invisible surface, have to be ajusted, as
although we might identify with a first person and project our
imaginary self into the place of the occupants of any imaginary scene,
our true place is only as an outsider looking back into an imaginary
constructions of someone elses minds
From: Zerkon on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:43:31 -0700, Immortalist wrote:

> Beginning with Thomas Nagel, various philosophers have proposed setting
> conscious experience apart from all other problems of the mind as "the
> most difficult problem." When critically examined, the basis for this
> proposal reveals itself to be unconvincing and counter- productive. Use
> of our current ignorance as a premise to determine what we can never
> discover is one common logical flaw. Use of "I- cannot-imagine"
> arguments is a related flaw. When not much is known about a domain of
> phenomena, our inability to imagine a mechanism is a rather
> uninteresting psychological fact about us, not an interesting
> metaphysical fact about the world. Rather than worrying too much about
> the meta-problem of whether or not consciousness is uniquely hard, I
> propose we get on with the task of seeing how far we get when we address
> neurobiologically the problems of mental phenomena.

There is no 'we' in neurobiology as there is in philosophy. Neurobiology
is exclusive and under private ownership. It's methods, machinery, data
and the processing of that data are all proprietary. It only reveals
itself as the self interest of it's corporate state owners.

Pretending a 'we' can address anything through neurobiology is the hard
problem here. Science addresses and reveals nothing, scientists do. God
is either dead or never was. Science should not be forced into becoming a
stand in.
From: Daniel T. on
Immortalist <reanimater_2000(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

What is this "hard problem"? I'm not saying that the Chalmers' "hard
problem" doesn't exist, rather I'm thinking that it is so poorly
defined, we would never know if it was solved. The real hard problem, as
I see it, is in defining what this "hard problem" actually entails.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1580363,00.html