From: Camille Petersen on
Assume I go to a webpage with a form and a couple of entry fields.

Normally these entry fields are not pre-filled with values.
Is there a way to fill them (only a part) automatically anyway?

This should NOT be achieved e.g. by cookies or by 3rd party Firefox extensions
but by appending some parameter on the URL.

Lets assume the following example:

http://www.web.de/fm/

and I want to fill the field labelled "WEB.DE Nutzer" (which means loginname).
So when I investigate the HTML source code I could imagine that something like

http://www.web.de/fm/?inpLoginUsername=myname123

must do the trick but the way above does not work.

Do I have to refer to the "id" or "name"?

The form code looks like:

<form id="formLogin" action="https://login.web.de/intern/login/" name="fm" method="post">
<fieldset>
<input type="hidden" value="freemail" name="service"/>
<input type="hidden" value="https://freemail.web.de" name="server"/>
<input type="hidden" value="https://freemail.web.de/msg/temporaer.htm" name="onerror"/>
<input type="hidden" value="https://freemail.web.de/msg/logonfailed.htm" name="onfail"/>
<legend>Login</legend>
<label for="inpLoginUsername">WEB.DE Nutzer</label>
<input id="inpLoginUsername" type="text" name="username"/>
<label for="inpLoginPasswd">Passwort</label>
<input id="inpLoginPasswd" type="password" name="password"/>
<input class="submit" type="submit" value="Login" name="rv_dologon"/>
</fieldset>
<ul id="loginLinks">
</ul>
</form>