From: Ralph Shnelvar on
RĂ©mi,

Thursday, July 22, 2010, 3:37:50 AM, you wrote:

RC> Hi Clifford Heath & Roger Pack,

RC> thanks for you answers.

RC> I don't understand wath you say, perhaps I didn't explain my problem
RC> correctly.

RC> I want to avoid that system() call cmd.exe

RC> in :
RC> system( [cmd, cmd], "-background", "#000000", "-geometry", "100%%"
RC> cmd is a String :
RC> cmd = "d:\\mes documents\\___3D\\imageMagick\\montage.exe"
RC> not the cmd.exe shell

RC> I thought that when you call system() with only one parameter, cmd.exe
RC> is used but when you call system() with more than one parameter, the
RC> program is directly launched without cmd.exe

RC> Can you confirm that ?

RC> thanks & regards.

I'm not sure I follow you ...

Have you tried the "back tick" processing to do what you want?
`d:/mes documents/___3D/imageMagick/montage.exe`

From: Roger Pack on

> RC> I thought that when you call system() with only one parameter,
> cmd.exe
> RC> is used but when you call system() with more than one parameter, the
> RC> program is directly launched without cmd.exe
>
> RC> Can you confirm that ?

I think I know where the confusion lies.
from [1] it reads

" If exec is given a single argument, that argument is taken as a line
that is subject to shell expansion before being executed. If multiple
arguments are given, the second and subsequent arguments are passed as
parameters to command with no shell expansion"

The shell expansion it is referring to here is things like expanding
paths, ex:
system("ls $HOME") gets expanded to system("ls /home/username")

however

system("ls", "$HOME")

does not get auto-expanded.

They both require "sub-shell" in windows because the process you are
executing (montage.exe) requires somewhere to output its data to, so it
pops up. It is possible to make a program "not require an output shell"
but most programs aren't setup that way (rubyw.exe is, ruby.exe isn't,
for example).

Recommendation: use IO.popen("whatever").read to avoid popping it up.
GL.
-r

[1] http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Kernel.html#M005968

From: adam hegge on

require 'win32/process'
Process.create({:app_name => cmd, :startup_info=>
{:sw_flags=>Process::SW_HIDE , :startf_flags =>
Process::STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW}})