From: Max on
My internet-connection is very slow. XP started automatically update-download,
it runs since 24 hours. No work in internet is possible, because the
download needs all resources.

How can i cancel this download????
From: Ǝиçεl on
Hello Max,

Which Windows Update are you referring to?

And which updates did you install?

Please state which Windows Service Pack level ?
Also, could you supply some information on what your Firewall is, Anti-virus,
other R-TP programs, e.g. Spybot Search & Destroy (reduced functionality
called "TeaTimer") Avira (From version 9) (Included in antivirus package)
Ad-Aware, etc?
Please do so in your next reply.

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375>

Have you run a check for spyware, viruses etc. on your hard drive recently.

A very good antimalware app are SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS)
and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) .

There is a fяee version (on demand scanning only)

1.- MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM)
<http://www.malwarebytes.com/>

2.- (SAS) Same as above.
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
-=-

3.- Run a scan online and clean it for free!
<http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/tryscanner.htm>

Also, please report the result of the 3 scans in your next reply.
-=-

From: Max on
Thank you,

but its too complicated. I dont know anything about wirewall ans spyware and
so on.
It needs half an hour to open a website, so i can't download some utilities.

I just want to know: where is the "cancel-button" for started downloads from
the Windows-update center?

I know:
Service Pack 3 is installed.

Thanks for Help!!!

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Reboot?

From: Eddie Bowers [MSFT] on
You will need to stop the BITS service (Background Intellegent Transfer
Service).
If you start a command prompt and type
net stop bits
it will stop the service.
You will then need to clear the BITS quueue or it will attempt to download
it again once the service starts again (on reboot).
to do this run:
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application
Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat" qmgr0.dat.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application
Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat" qmgr1.dat.old
net start bits

-Eddie