From: Jorge Cervantes on
Here is a minor irritation. Whenever I click Control Panel, I see Classical
View with about 40+ icons.
But I am more familiar with handling Category View. How can I change from
Classical to Category View.

In fact, when my children visited us, they changed Start Menu into Classical
Start Menu on my laptop.
I changed it to the default Start Menu. But Control and other menus still
remain in classical view. Jorge

From: Tim Meddick on
In Explorer, go to Control Panel.

Then, from the top menus, choose "View" > "Explorer Bar" > "Folders"

The word "Folders" should have a "tick" next to it and by clicking on it you dismiss
the folders at the side and is replaced by the default "helpful tasks" which in
Control Panel include :

"Switch to Category View"

(you get the same thing if you press the [X] in the corner of the "Folders"
side-panel in explorer to close the "Folders" view)

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: glee on
"Leonard Grey" <l.grey(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> This will work:
>
> Open the search engine of your choice and type (or copy and paste)
> this into the search box:
>
> change windows xp control panel to category view

ROTFL!
Hey, I did what you said, but Control Panel did not open at all! <eg>
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

From: Ol�rin on
As an addendum to that, you need to have selected "Show common tasks in
folders" from Tools > Folder Options > "General" tab in Explorer in order to
get this. (As you say, this is XP's out-of-the-box default, but who knows
what changes have been made to OP's system.)

From: Tim Meddick on
You cannot explain every contingency in a piece of advice contained within one [post]
reply...

I assume that the OP would re-post of his/her failure to obtain a desirable outcome
after following the advice given.

I would then be able to follow-up accordingly.

But thankyou for your accurate observations.

I see the OP is using OE to read / write his posts, so he will be able to "see" the
attached reg-file, which will, when imported, change the Control panel to "category
view".

==