From: "Richard Kurth" on

I have around 6000 text files and I need to change the first line on every
one of them.

The first line is the title of the article and I need it look like this
<title>the name of the article</title>

every file has the first line and the it starts the article on the second
line

The files are in many directory under one main directory
like this

top directory
fashion-school
Dogs
DentalAssistant
etc..........

I need a script that will loop through each directory look at each file
extract the first line and replace it with the example above.
I have figured out how to pull the first line into an array but I don't no
where to go from there to look in each directory and the write the data back
at the top.

$f = file('GENERAL HISTORY OF DOGS.txt');
$a = '<title>' . $f[0] . '</title>';
echo $a;

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 14:10 -0700, Richard Kurth wrote:

> I have around 6000 text files and I need to change the first line on every
> one of them.
>
> The first line is the title of the article and I need it look like this
> <title>the name of the article</title>
>
> every file has the first line and the it starts the article on the second
> line
>
> The files are in many directory under one main directory
> like this
>
> top directory
> fashion-school
> Dogs
> DentalAssistant
> etc..........
>
> I need a script that will loop through each directory look at each file
> extract the first line and replace it with the example above.
> I have figured out how to pull the first line into an array but I don't no
> where to go from there to look in each directory and the write the data back
> at the top.
>
> $f = file('GENERAL HISTORY OF DOGS.txt');
> $a = '<title>' . $f[0] . '</title>';
> echo $a;

Rather than use PHP for this I would look at using the find and sed
tools to edit the files.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Steve on

Something like this should do what you want: http://pastebin.com/jKvAiGYa
From: mcgiddin on
If you're running on a *nix system you may want to look at using find, xargs, and sed. Sorry I can't give you the syntax at the moment but you can google for the three of them and find several good examples.

Matt

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

From: mcgiddin on
The command would be something like this:

find /wwwdir -name \*.txt -print | xargs sed -i s/oldtext/newtext/gi

Matt

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T