From: Disc Magnet on
For text elements there is a select() method to select text. I am
trying to provide the user with this feature. If he clicks within a
<textarea> element, all text is selected. This is easy to do using the
select() method. But if he clicks again, all text should be
unselected.

For this to happen, I need to know whether any text is already
selected in <textarea>. How can this be achieved?
From: Evertjan. on
Disc Magnet wrote on 22 jun 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

> For text elements there is a select() method to select text. I am
> trying to provide the user with this feature. If he clicks within a
> <textarea> element, all text is selected. This is easy to do using the
> select() method. But if he clicks again, all text should be
> unselected.
>
> For this to happen, I need to know whether any text is already
> selected in <textarea>.

Why?

> How can this be achieved?

try:

<textarea onclick='this.select();'>
qwerty
</textarea>

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Disc Magnet on
On Jun 22, 11:15 pm, "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivo...(a)interxnl.net>
wrote:
> Disc Magnet wrote on 22 jun 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:
>
> > For text elements there is a select() method to select text. I am
> > trying to provide the user with this feature. If he clicks within a
> > <textarea> element, all text is selected. This is easy to do using the
> > select() method. But if he clicks again, all text should be
> > unselected.
>
> > For this to happen, I need to know whether any text is already
> > selected in <textarea>.
>
> Why?

Because if it is selected, I want to unselect the text. For that I
need to know the current state of selection.

> > How can this be achieved?
>
> try:
>
> <textarea onclick='this.select();'>
> qwerty
> </textarea>

I tried this. But this doesn't work on IE and Firefox. It works only
on Chrome. On IE and Firefox, if I click on the textarea for the
second time, the text does not get unselected.

From: Asen Bozhilov on
Disc Magnet wrote:
> Evertjan wrote:
> > Disc Magnet wrote:

> > > For this to happen, I need to know whether any text is already
> > > selected in <textarea>.
>
> > Why?
>
> Because if it is selected, I want to unselect the text. For that I
> need to know the current state of selection.

But why do you want such a behavior? That would break my normal
browsing and probably I will close your page. For example I click on
textarea and start writing, with your approach I will lose my entered
text. Another problem is when I change the position of a caret with
mouse click in textarea. What will be happen select/deselect? If you
explain why do you want that, probably there is another answer on your
question instead that terrible decision.

From: Disc Magnet on
On Jun 23, 1:08 am, Asen Bozhilov <asen.bozhi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Disc Magnet wrote:
> > Evertjan wrote:
>
> > > Why?
>
> > Because if it is selected, I want to unselect the text. For that I
> > need to know the current state of selection.
>
> But why do you want such a behavior? That would break my normal
> browsing and probably I will close your page. For example I click on
> textarea and start writing, with your approach I will lose my entered
> text. Another problem is when I change the position of a caret with
> mouse click in textarea. What will be happen select/deselect? If you
> explain why do you want that, probably there is another answer on your
> question instead that terrible decision.

Many websites which generate code for the user to copy provide such a
functionality where the whole textarea is selected with a single
click. So, the user can click on the textarea and copy the text
quickly. This doesn't break normal browsing because users don't want
to edit the text. They simply want to copy the text. Such textarea
also usually have the readonly="readonly" attribute set.

Also, have a look at this example: http://delicious.com/help/tagometer