From: ralph on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:05:40 -0400, "Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote:

>Intersting.
>I am thinking about cloning the data, not the definition.
>It is academic now. But can I use a Property bag in my situation. I seen it,
>but never play with it.

lol

VB's built-in serialization product.

Glad you stumbled across it. I'd forgotten about them, and you did ask
for "easy" too. Dop! <g>

Just a word of warning. Property Bags store data as Variants and as we
know VB is very obliging when it comes to coercing a value into a
Variant, or in coercing a value out of one. Dates and alphanumeric
strings can often be troublesome. So make sure you have clear business
rules for conversion. It also is useful to add additional "format" or
"type" properties to insure there are no misunderstandings.

-ralph
From: Dee Earley on
On 10/08/2010 17:17, ralph wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:05:40 -0400, "Phil Hunt"<aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote:
>
>> Intersting.
>> I am thinking about cloning the data, not the definition.
>> It is academic now. But can I use a Property bag in my situation. I seen it,
>> but never play with it.
>>

> lol
>
> VB's built-in serialization product.
>
> Glad you stumbled across it. I'd forgotten about them, and you did ask
> for "easy" too. Dop!<g>
>
> Just a word of warning. Property Bags store data as Variants and as we
> know VB is very obliging when it comes to coercing a value into a
> Variant, or in coercing a value out of one. Dates and alphanumeric
> strings can often be troublesome. So make sure you have clear business
> rules for conversion. It also is useful to add additional "format" or
> "type" properties to insure there are no misunderstandings.

The data in a property bag is typed, it may be implicit via the variant
type, but you do get out the same data type you put in.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: ralph on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:29:20 +0100, Dee Earley
<dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:

>The data in a property bag is typed, it may be implicit via the variant
>type, but you do get out the same data type you put in.

An absolute given.

I stand corrected, and the OP should ignore my advice as absolutely
nothing can ever go wrong.

-ralph
From: Phil Hunt on
On that note, please considered it closed.