From: DL on
Hi,

Say, I'm thinking of providing efficiency in using Style for some text
for my users with short cut. Where I'm at now,

function doRichText(aName,aArg) {
getIFrameDocument('textbox1').execCommand(aName,false,aArg);

// getIFrameDocument function here

trigger, i.e., onclick="doRichText('bold')"

Now, what I'd like to move a step further up, is, how to support, say,
Alt + B or Ctrl +B, to allow a user to start typing in Bold and then
Alt + B or Ctrl + B again to shut it off (exit)?

It looks like it has something to do with keypress and keycode
something, care to elaborate?

Many thanks.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
DL wrote:

> Now, what I'd like to move a step further up, is, how to support, say,
> Alt + B or Ctrl +B, to allow a user to start typing in Bold and then
> Alt + B or Ctrl + B again to shut it off (exit)?
>
> It looks like it has something to do with keypress and keycode
> something, care to elaborate?

No, RTFM and STFW, we have discussed this ad nauseam (especially recently).

However, the best way to achieve that is to use the `accesskey' attribute of
the controls that trigger the editor's functions, because then it is less
likely that the editor's shortcuts will interfere with the shortcuts of the
rest of the GUI.

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
From: DL on
On Feb 15, 6:55 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> DL wrote:
> > Now, what I'd like to move a step further up, is, how to support, say,
> > Alt + B or Ctrl +B, to allow a user to start typing in Bold and then
> > Alt + B or Ctrl + B again to shut it off (exit)?
>
> > It looks like it has something to do with keypress and keycode
> > something, care to elaborate?
>
> No, RTFM and STFW, we have discussed this ad nauseam (especially recently).
>
> However, the best way to achieve that is to use the `accesskey' attribute of
> the controls that trigger the editor's functions, because then it is less
> likely that the editor's shortcuts will interfere with the shortcuts of the
> rest of the GUI.
>
> PointedEars
> --
>     realism:    HTML 4.01 Strict
>     evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
>     madness:    XHTML 1.1 as application/xhtml+xml
>                                                     -- Bjoern Hoehrmann

ok, thanks, the following code not working (no effect),

<input type="button" accesskey="B" onclick="var c =
frames['textInput'].document.selection.createRange();c.execCommand('Bold',false,
'Yellow');c.select();" />

tested with IE7 on an XP box, what's wrong? Or how to use it
correctly in such a situation?
From: DL on
On Feb 15, 10:18 pm, DL <tatata9...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 6:55 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
> wrote:
>

> > DL wrote:
> > > Now, what I'd like to move a step further up, is, how to support, say,
> > > Alt + B or Ctrl +B, to allow a user to start typing in Bold and then
> > > Alt + B or Ctrl + B again to shut it off (exit)?
>
> > > It looks like it has something to do with keypress and keycode
> > > something, care to elaborate?
>
> > No, RTFM and STFW, we have discussed this ad nauseam (especially recently).
>
> > However, the best way to achieve that is to use the `accesskey' attribute of
> > the controls that trigger the editor's functions, because then it is less
> > likely that the editor's shortcuts will interfere with the shortcuts of the
> > rest of the GUI.
>
> > PointedEars
> > --
> >     realism:    HTML 4.01 Strict
> >     evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
> >     madness:    XHTML 1.1 as application/xhtml+xml
> >                                                     -- Bjoern Hoehrmann
>
> ok, thanks, the following code not working (no effect),
>
> <input type="button" accesskey="B" onclick="var c =
> frames['textInput'].document.selection.createRange();c.execCommand('Bold',false,
> 'Yellow');c.select();" />
>
> tested with IE7 on an XP box, what's wrong?  Or how to use it
> correctly in such a situation?

Update. On that XP box, it's Ctrl + B (working now), not Alt + B.

Thank you.