From: Jorge on
On Dec 12, 11:09 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Austin Matzko wrote:
>
> >> Reasonable people use an `if' statement here instead.
>
> > Would you please elaborate?  I'm curious why an "if" statement would
> > be better.
>
> It saves one needless evaluation step, and because it allows for a block
> statement it allows for a finer control, including proper feature-testing..

!e && (e= window.event);
--
Jorge.
From: Stefan Weiss on
On 12/12/09 14:05, JR wrote:
> On Dec 12, 3:25 am, Stefan Weiss <krewech...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I use Ctrl a *lot*. I use it to operate my browser, to scroll the page,
>> to copy and paste text, etc. If I saw a site where ctrl triggered a
>> JavaScript alert, I would automatically mentally file it as evil / scum
>> / target for abuse. At the very least, I'd add it to my list of blocked
>> sites. If I'm bored I might have a look around and see what else looked
>> broken. It's not very clever to annoy your guests.
>
> Why people always tend to generalize particular cases in c.l.js?

When I hear hoofbeats, I think horses, not zebras. If the OP is working
in a very unusual environment, he ought to mention that, or people will
assume the general case.

--
stefan
From: Asen Bozhilov on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

> You better don't quote the Specification unless you are sure what you are
> talking about.

What is irrelevant here? I quote specification for the problem, which
are you talking about.

> "Bug" was short for "suboptimal example".  Quite obviously, there is no
> assignment necessary when `e' type-converts to true (indeed, since `e'
> refers to a host object, it is error-prone to use it in a type-converting
> test).

You wrote "it is error-prone", but you use exactly in the same manner.

| for (var tRows = tBody.rows, i = tRows && tRows.length; i--;)

Here again `tRows` refer host object and again we have type
conversion. Please, don't suggest something which you don't observe.

Regards.

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Asen Bozhilov wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> You better don't quote the Specification unless you are sure what you are
>> talking about.
>
> What is irrelevant here? I quote specification for the problem, which
> are you talking about.

There was no need to quote the Specification to me as a *disproof* as I
suggested what I did because I already knew what happened. And as it was
confirmed eventually by yourself, you did not really know what you were
talking about at the time.

>> "Bug" was short for "suboptimal example". Quite obviously, there is no
>> assignment necessary when `e' type-converts to true (indeed, since `e'
>> refers to a host object, it is error-prone to use it in a type-converting
>> test).
>
> You wrote "it is error-prone", but you use exactly in the same manner.

And if you had cared to notice, I wrote the code below *before* I wrote that
(the `indeed' should have been an indication). But even that hardly
matters, because:

> | for (var tRows = tBody.rows, i = tRows && tRows.length; i--;)
>
> Here again `tRows` refer host object and again we have type
> conversion. Please, don't suggest something which you don't observe.

This is a quick hack, untested code, evident to all who can read in context.

> Regards.

Somehow I doubt your sincerity.

Score adjusted

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
From: Dmitry A. Soshnikov on
On Dec 12, 6:05 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Krist wrote:
> > On 12 Des, 03:21, JR <groups_j...(a)yahoo.com.br> wrote:

[...]

> >> function keyCheck(e) {
>
> Reasonable people use a function expression here instead.

Pathos.

> >> e = e || window.event;
>
> Reasonable people use an `if' statement here instead.

Troll pathos ;) Here's the main goal in how it "sounds": "let it be
the same or "default" value". The most useful form would be already
mentioned `e ||= window.event;`, or could be used also mentioned `!e
&& (e = window.event);`. All the cases are good. So, your answer just
troll pathos. Any problem? ;)

> >> if (e.ctrlKey) {
>
> Responsible developers feature-test host object's properties before they are
> accessing them in a type-converting test.  Then again, responsible
> developers would not try this whole nonsense in the first place.

Pathos.

> >> alert("CTRL key is not allowed");
>
>   window.alert(...);

Pathos. Plain `alert` in this concrete host environment can be better
solution ;)

> > God bless you
>
> Said the blind led by the blind.

Troll pathos.