From: Peter Pan on
"Fuller" <fuller_w(a)Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message

> - Why don't I see MY computers on MY network?
> Specifically, if an intruder has attached to MY network, how do I see HIM
> on MY network (if I can't even see my own computers known to be on MY
> network)!
>

> BTW, the same thing would happen at a hotspot - but I realize this makes
> you all jumpy:
> - How would I know if an intruder has attached to MY computer at the
> hotspot (it seems hotspots get you guys all worked up so please just
> concentrate on how I would find if someone had attached to MY computer at
> the hotspot).
>
> Thanks in advance.
> I'm following Jeff's astute information; the rest so far were less than
> helpful (and probably misunderstood the question).

it gets even worse/wierder, most programs for windows will only show KNOWN
WINDOWS servers (ie won't see linux, ipod, tivo etc)
for your own network, you can just go to the wap admin page and see whats
currently connected (but even that wont show everything)

for instance, mine shows
Client Name Assign IP Address
Owners-iPod 192.168.1.105
GATEWAY 192.168.1.106
toshiba 192.168.1.111

but the tivos and linux server don't show (ipod shows, gateway and toshiba
are running windows with sharing on and show, other computer doesn't show
cause its sharing is turned off)

jeffs post will show the ip addys being used, but the second part will only
show windows named servers

From: Fuller on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:36:26 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:
> If you are interested in investigating any problems with network
> interference in your area (or rogue access points) something like
> NetStumbler might help you
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the pointers.

I first installed the netstumbler, which, as documented, nicely turned off
the wireless zero configuration (WZC) so that I can't accidentally connect.

It showed me muuuch more than I though I had in my wireless area - but it
did NOT show me anything about my own internal network which is the
information I'm after. It's looking in the wrong direction.

BTW, accidentally, using netstumbler, I did fortuitously notice my Linksys
WRT54G router and another router on a nearby channel (but with a different
MAC address) both had "linksys" as the router names! I had left mine at
the default; apparently so did one of my neighbors! Who knows who was
connecting to whom!

So that was amazing as a start that perhaps I've accidentally been
connecting to the wrong router! I would never have known that if I hadn't
tried your suggestion. Thanks.

FWIW, I promptly changed my router name to "wrt54g" so that I could tell
the difference between my router and my neighbors and I wrote down my
router's MAC address from netstumbler which I hadn't known prior - so it
wasn't a total waste to install and test it out. Thanks for the pointer
(but I'm not trying to find networks I can connect to ... I'm trying to
find networks that are connecting to me).

As for Wallwatcher, I'll try that next.

I had never turned on the logs for the Linksys WRT54G (don't know how) but
I will look that up first and try that so see if it shows someone
connecting to my network and report back.
From: Fuller on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:41:14 -0700, John Navas wrote:
>>You guys are a suspicious bunch. I guess you're that way by nature. :)
>>What I'm trying to do is find computers on MY network.
> Because...

Because I want to know if anyone else is connecting to my network.

So I first looked to see what computers were on my network (of which I have
a few in the house).

I couldn't even see my own computers on my own network, let alone someone
elses' computer breaking into my network.

So, if I could see my own computers on my own network, that would be the
first step. The second step would be to see if a rougue (to use a term you
guys seem to use) to see if a rougue computer was attaching to my network.

NOTE: So far I tested "net view" "arp -a" and "nbstate -n", none of which
can see the other computers that I know are on my network because they are
my own computers. I'll keep digging given the hints Jeff and Mike provided
and report back the results when I can finally see my own computers on my
own network.
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:17:23 +0000 (UTC), in <i27h3s$a8t$1(a)tioat.net>,

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_intrusion_detection_system>

--
John FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: Fuller on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:59:20 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
>>C:\bin\> net view
>>System error 6118 has occurred.
>>The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available
>
> You have file and print sharing disabled on your unspecified operating
> system. I'm assuming Windoze XP SP3.

Hi Jeff,
Yes, it's Windows XP SP3. With a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

> [arp -a] should show the MAC and IP address of your unspecified maker
> and model internet router.

Hmmm... maybe the netstumbler test messed things up. I rebooted everything,
first the ISP, then the routers, then the computers.

Here's what I now get:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
C:\bin> arp -a

Interface: 10.20.30.200 --- 0x3
Internet Address Physical Address Type
10.20.30.40 00-16-b6-53-23-95 dynamic

> you're not going to see the rest of your ISP's customers
> machines. The router at the ISP is always configured to prevent this.

I'm not trying to see their machines. I'm just trying to see MY machines.
And, if it exists, I'm trying to see if any additional "rogue" machine is
connecting to MY network.

Re-running the nbtstat -n, I get:

C:\bin> nbtstat -n

LAN:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []
No names in cache
WAN:
Node IpAddress: [10.20.30.200] Scope Id: []
NetBIOS Local Name Table
Name Type Status
BORONA <00> UNIQUE Registered
BORONA <20> UNIQUE Registered
OFFICE <00> GROUP Registered

> Also, compare your output with mine. See anything different?
> Name Type Status
> CHOLESTEROL3 <00> UNIQUE Registered
> WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered
> CHOLESTEROL3 <20> UNIQUE Registered
> WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
> WORKGROUP <1D> UNIQUE Registered
> ..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

Yes, I see you have MSBROWSE (as you noted) and I do not.
Both of us have the "20 File Server Service" which shows file sharing is
enabled.

> I'm not sure why 'net view' would fail if it's really
> enabled. Firewall rules problem? Virus? Key Logger?

I re-ran "net view" without the freeware software firewall but got the same
results.
C:\bin> net view
System error 6118 has occurred.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

> You might consider answering my previous questions:
> 1. What do mean by "see"? What information do you want?
A: I just want to see my own computers and, only if a rogue computer is
also connecting to my home network, I want to see that.

> 2. What are you trying to accomplish?
A: I want to know if/when a rogue computer connects to my network.

> 3. Why are you trying to hack computers that do not belong to you in
> a coffee shop?

A: I was trying to ask the more general question which is to see what
computers are connecting to me no matter what network I am on.

> 4. Add one more. What do you have for hardware, how is it configured
> (IP layout), and where is the wireless in the puzzle?

I have 4 Windows XP SP3 computers tied to a simple home network with a
Linksys WRT54G wireless router as the common point.

I have some networking skills (not much, but some) so I've long ago
modified the router settings to not have the standard IP address (not
192.168.1.1 for example). I turned off DNS caching services (because of
thrashing due to a large hosts file) but I've not implemented MAC
filtering.

I am having trouble experimenting with nmap (am debugging something called
winpcap) will report back when I get it running.