From: me on
:-)

[This is a Chrome-specific problem, but since their help forum is all
questions and
no answers, I thought I'd try and see if anyone here has any idea.]

When you change the left and right padding of a DIV from a javascript, you
would
expect the text elements inside it to be rendered and justified again;
indeed, this is
what IE and FF do; Chrome 5.0 however, does not. The text moves
horizontally,
but retains its width. (see the example below)

I have tried setting the right-padding before the left-padding, or setting
all four
padding values together, but to no avail. I could make an imperceptibly
small change
to the font size, but setting font size to 14.99px may have undesirable
side-effects.
Is there a better way to force Chrome to re-render the content of the DIV ?

Marc.

<HTML><BODY>
<DIV ID="MyContainer" STYLE="width: 360px; background-color: orange;">
<DIV ID="MyContent" STYLE="padding: 20px;" onclick="this.style.padding='20px
60px';">
<H1>Dynamic Padding Test</H1>
<P>Click anywhere in this rectangle to change the left and right padding
from 20 to 60 pixels.</P>
</DIV></DIV>
</BODY></HTML>

From: me on
"Denis McMahon" <denis.m.f.mcmahon(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> On 13/08/10 01:17, me wrote:
>> Is there a better way to force Chrome to re-render the content of the DIV
>> ?
>
> Yes.
> Don't make changes that force the page to re-render.
> It's incredibly annoying as a web site user to have content on a page
> jump around while I'm looking at.
> Rgds
> Denis McMahon

Well, I'm trying to add buttons to my page that will let the user set the
font size and text width they find most comfortable to read. I don't think
anyone will find the effect "incredibly annoying". In fact I'm hoping it
will improve the user experience.

(This "how do I ?", "You don't." pattern in newsgroups is getting tiring;
if you want to help someone, help them; if you just want to express your
disdain for other people, start a blog or something.)

Marc.

From: me on

"Jeremy J Starcher" <r3jjs(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:01:29 +0200, me wrote:
>
>> "Denis McMahon" <denis.m.f.mcmahon(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yes.
>>> Don't make changes that force the page to re-render. It's incredibly
>>> annoying as a web site user to have content on a page jump around while
>>> I'm looking at.
>>> Rgds
>>> Denis McMahon
>>
>> Well, I'm trying to add buttons to my page that will let the user set
>> the font size and text width they find most comfortable to read. I don't
>> think anyone will find the effect "incredibly annoying". In fact I'm
>> hoping it will improve the user experience.
>
> This is recreating functionality that *already exists* in most modern
> browsers.
>
> Leave the font at the default size or larger. Never make a font smaller
> than the user's preference.
>
> It has been my experience that any document that needs text resizing
> options is a poorly laid out document.

The thing is, this site has a lot of older users, some of which are probably
not that familiar with changing zooming and font preferences in their
browser, and I wanted to give them an easy way to have extra-large text, but
only in the main text column, so that all the other navigation and photos
and stuff stay the same; that way they don't have to scroll around to find
things in a zoomed-in page that is larger than their browser window.
Creating a page for an older or not-very-computer-literate audience is very
difficult, because you can't rely on the users to know their way around
their browser and other software; I found that out when I put some pdf's up
for download :-)

Marc.

From: me on
"Ry Nohryb" <jorge(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote in message
On Aug 13, 2:17 am, "me" <m...(a)example.com> wrote:
>> Is there a better way to force Chrome to re-render the content of the DIV
>> ?
>(...)To force a re-render, set its display to none momentarily, (...)
>HTH,
>--
>Jorge.

Thanks, I'll use that. I'll have a look and see whether I can have the
script detect the bug, and only use the display trick when necessary.
If anyone here is in the habit of reporting bugs to Chrome/Safari/WebKit,
feel free to do so about this :-) It'd be very practical if this were fixed.

Marc.

From: Evertjan. on
me wrote on 13 aug 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Thanks, I'll use that. I'll have a look and see whether I can have the
> script detect the bug, and only use the display trick when necessary.
> If anyone here is in the habit of reporting bugs to
> Chrome/Safari/WebKit, feel free to do so about this :-) It'd be very
> practical if this were fixed.

Even better would be a DOM-command to refrain from re-rendering:

Window.render(false);

and one to start re-rendering [the default]:

Window.render(true);

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.