From: dba_222 on
Dear Experts,

I have an application that I've used for years
that runs on Access under the covers. Help shows
a reference to:
Access 2002 Desktop Developer's Handbook

It was a self contained application.
All I have are the two MDE files.
And they are full of data now.
The app requires a login.

I want to export this data into another database.

How can I get the table structures and the data
out of the MDE files?

A new version of Access?
Sql Server?
..NET?
A data conversion tool?

Oracle says that if they have the XML file
with the table structures, they can export
the data:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/hol08/sqldev_migration/msaccess/migrate_microsoft_access_otn.htm

Is there a way to get the XML file
from the MDE file?

Thanks a lot!

From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:47:48 -0700 (PDT), dba_222(a)yahoo.com wrote:

I would ask the developers of that application.

Beyond that, it depends. You can try linking to the tables from a new
blank Access database.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: dba_222 on
Yes, I'd thought of that. But it was an $30 app that I bought.
From a company that is no longer in business.

Ok, here is what worked:

There are two files.
One mde had all the forms and code, etc.
The other had all the data.

I went to someone who had Access 2003 or 2007.
That allowed me to open both files.

When I opened the forms and code, it displayed
the same way as my application worked.

By opening the data file, I was able to see all my data!
Then I was able to save it to an excel file.
Yeah!