From: Jose on
On Jun 25, 4:19 am, Abraham <Abra...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My goal is to have my files, favorites, desktop arrangement, swap file, etc.
> on my second hard drive separate from the hard drive running Windows XP. How
> do I do this?

If it does not compromise any personal information, can you describe
what you are trying to accomplish by doing this?

You will get better ideas if we know what you are trying to do and
why. Maybe somebody has already done this and knows how or another/
better way to do it

Are you trying to solve some issue, thinking to achieve some stability
and performance or you just think things would somehow be better that
way and why do you think that way?

What does a desktop arrangement and etc. mean to you?

Sufficiently enchanted, anything is possible.
From: Doum on
Jose <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> �crivait

> On Jun 25, 4:19�am, Abraham <Abra...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> My goal is to have my files, favorites, desktop arrangement, swap
>> file, e
> tc.
>> on my second hard drive separate from the hard drive running Windows
>> XP.
> How
>> do I do this?
>
> If it does not compromise any personal information, can you describe
> what you are trying to accomplish by doing this?
>
> You will get better ideas if we know what you are trying to do and
> why. Maybe somebody has already done this and knows how or another/
> better way to do it
>
> Are you trying to solve some issue, thinking to achieve some stability
> and performance or you just think things would somehow be better that
> way and why do you think that way?
>
> What does a desktop arrangement and etc. mean to you?
>
> Sufficiently enchanted, anything is possible.

Don't you think that the OP idea to have his documents on a second hard
drive is a good idea?

As for the other items mentionned, I agree with you: why?

A COPY of the Favorites on the second drive is OK though, I guess.
From: Jose on

The OP did not say anything about documents. The OP said:

"My goal is to have my files, favorites, desktop arrangement, swap
file, etc.on my second hard drive"

Unless my files = my documents (or My Documents)...

I just wanted to know what the OP was trying to accomplish and the
environment - two separate HDD, one HDD with two partitions, is it for
safety, organization, performance, just in case my my HDD crashes,
security, portability...

For example, if I was thinking about how to improve performance and
was thinking about moving my paging file to do it (or somebody told me
it will "help"), I might consider using a faster RPM HDD than my XP
installation, (what the OP has in unknown) create a small partition
just for the paging file on the faster drive (maybe 4GB) and format
that small paging file partition FAT32 instead of NTFS. A small FAT32
partition is the best for a paging file if you don't mind not having
the NTFS security on a binary paging file that only a forensic
computer expert could decipher on an extraordinary day. I can
probably make your paging a lot faster.

I don't want to ascertain some potential performance improvement. I
don't want to "might see if I notice some improvement" - I want to
measure it before and after and see the performance improvement (or
not).

Sometimes these kinds of questions are because the OP thinks, knows or
has heard about some things to increase performance or is having some
other kind of problem that is better addressed some other way. First
you have to define the problem then you can come up with a good
solution.
From: Doum on
Jose <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> �crivait

<snip>

>> Don't you think that the OP idea to have his documents on a second
>> hard drive is a good idea?
>>
>> As for the other items mentionned, I agree with you: why?
>>
>> A COPY of the Favorites on the second drive is OK though, I guess.
>
> The OP did not say anything about documents. The OP said:
>
> "My goal is to have my files, favorites, desktop arrangement, swap
> file, etc.on my second hard drive"
>
> Unless my files = my documents (or My Documents)...

<snip>

I agree with your other points but I just want to mention that the title of
his post is:

"How to move My Documents, Desktop, swap file, etc. to 2nd hard dr"