From: Steinar Moum on
I am looking for the production date of the Macintoshes in the managment
scheeme at University of Oslo, Norway.

This information can be found in the Serial numbers of each Mac, and we
can copy this to a server and use the data in reports.

Details of the content of the serial number, can be found in the URL
http://www.tuaw.com/2005/04/14/when-was-your-mac-born/2#comments

For our use the information are to be found in this way:

The third character = the last digit of the prod. year
The fourth-fifth character = the prod. week in the above year.

This is what we need.

My questions are:

Is the serial number consistent back to year 2000?
Is there another URL with date information for Macs?

Yours

SM
From: Ian Gregory on
On 2010-07-29, Steinar Moum <steinar.moum(a)usit.uio.no> wrote:

> Is there another URL with date information for Macs?

The article you linked to had the URL for the Chipmunk serial number
decoder. There are others, for example:

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/

Ian

--
Ian Gregory
http://www.zenatode.org.uk/
From: David Empson on
Steinar Moum <steinar.moum(a)usit.uio.no> wrote:

> I am looking for the production date of the Macintoshes in the managment
> scheeme at University of Oslo, Norway.
>
> This information can be found in the Serial numbers of each Mac, and we
> can copy this to a server and use the data in reports.
>
> Details of the content of the serial number, can be found in the URL
> http://www.tuaw.com/2005/04/14/when-was-your-mac-born/2#comments
>
> For our use the information are to be found in this way:
>
> The third character = the last digit of the prod. year
> The fourth-fifth character = the prod. week in the above year.
>
> This is what we need.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Is the serial number consistent back to year 2000?

Yes, and earlier. If I remember right, it goes back to the introduction
of the iMac G3 in 1998, but I haven't had a close look at anything that
old for a while. It defintely goes back to mid 2001, as my iBook G3 used
the same pattern.

There is a change with very recent models: the mid 2010 17" MacBook Pro
has started using a new serial number format, which has a more complex
encoding system. I haven't had a close look at the mid 2001 MacBook, Mac
Mini (or seen a new iMac), but my mid 2010 15" MacBook Pro is still
using the old system.

The alleged details of the new encoding system were briefly published on
macrumors.com, but pulled at Apple's request (still not explained).

They can probably be found with a little Internet research.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz