From: flowergirl on
How do I print from the Extended ASCII Character Set (IBM Character
Set) with Compaq Visual Fortran 6.5? For example, using the DOS
editor or MS Word and entering Alt 219 (numeric key pad) displays the
box type character █. I can put this into a Powerstation 1.0 write
statement and it prints successfully. However CVF 6.5 displays the |
character instead. The same goes for other extended ASCII characters.
From: robin on
"flowergirl" <senhortomas(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

|How do I print from the Extended ASCII Character Set (IBM Character
|Set) with Compaq Visual Fortran 6.5? For example, using the DOS
|editor or MS Word and entering Alt 219 (numeric key pad) displays the
|box type character ?. I can put this into a Powerstation 1.0 write
|statement and it prints successfully. However CVF 6.5 displays t|he
|character instead. The same goes for other extended ASCII characters.

How are you generating the characters?

From: flowergirl on
On Jan 31, 5:30 pm, "robin" <robi...(a)bigpond.com> wrote:
> "flowergirl" <senhorto...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> |How do I print from the Extended ASCII Character Set (IBM Character
> |Set) with Compaq Visual Fortran 6.5?  For example, using the DOS
> |editor or MS Word and entering Alt 219 (numeric key pad) displays the
> |box type character ?.  I can put this into a Powerstation 1.0 write
> |statement and it prints successfully.  However CVF 6.5 displays t|he
> |character instead.  The same goes for other extended ASCII characters.
>
> How are you generating the characters?

Here's an example:

If the following program is compiled and run with Compaq Visual
Fortran 6.5 as a console application, the result is a box printed with
ASCII text based characters (corners, horizontal lines, and vertical
lines).

write(*,*) char(218),char(196),char(191)
write(*,*) char(179),' ' ,char(179)
write(*,*) char(192),char(196),char(217)
end

But if the same program is compiled and run as a standard graphics or
quick win application, a list of character codes gets printed instead.
From: Arjen Markus on
On 1 feb, 01:28, flowergirl <senhorto...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 5:30 pm, "robin" <robi...(a)bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> > "flowergirl" <senhorto...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > |How do I print from the Extended ASCII Character Set (IBM Character
> > |Set) with Compaq Visual Fortran 6.5?  For example, using the DOS
> > |editor or MS Word and entering Alt 219 (numeric key pad) displays the
> > |box type character ?.  I can put this into a Powerstation 1.0 write
> > |statement and it prints successfully.  However CVF 6.5 displays t|he
> > |character instead.  The same goes for other extended ASCII characters.
>
> > How are you generating the characters?
>
> Here's an example:
>
> If the following program is compiled and run with Compaq Visual
> Fortran 6.5 as a console application, the result is a box printed with
> ASCII text based characters (corners, horizontal lines, and vertical
> lines).
>
> write(*,*) char(218),char(196),char(191)
> write(*,*) char(179),' '      ,char(179)
> write(*,*) char(192),char(196),char(217)
> end
>
> But if the same program is compiled and run as a standard graphics or
> quick win application, a list of character codes gets printed instead.

This has little to do with Fortran and everything with the display
method.
The characters you want to print are outside the ordinary ASCII range
and
therefore the graphical representation is subject to such things as
code pages.

These graphic characters you are trying to use are not present in
other
code pages or are in a different position. (I have never quite
understood
the terminology but it has to do with OEM versus ASCII)

Regards,

Arjen
From: Steve Lionel on
On 1/31/2010 4:40 PM, flowergirl wrote:
> How do I print from the Extended ASCII Character Set (IBM Character
> Set) with Compaq Visual Fortran 6.5? For example, using the DOS
> editor or MS Word and entering Alt 219 (numeric key pad) displays the
> box type character █. I can put this into a Powerstation 1.0 write
> statement and it prints successfully. However CVF 6.5 displays the |
> character instead. The same goes for other extended ASCII characters.

I have not found a way to do this. Console applications, and
PowerStation 1.0 )(which was a DOS product), use the "OEM 437" codepage
for output. This DOES have a corresponding font, "MS-DOS CP 437", but
this is not a font you can select in a QuickWin application (which a
later post of yours said you wanted to do.)

--
Steve Lionel
Developer Products Division

For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
Intel Software Development Products Support
http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
My Fortran blog
http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran