From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 09:12:56 -0600, Ed Morton wrote:

>>> Genuinely curious - "rm" only has about 5 or 6 options so when you
>>> looked up the man page did you not understand what "recursively" meant
>>> or not notice it or was it something else?
>>>
>>> Ed.
>>
>> The man pages may not be available in moonhkt's native language?
>
> Yes, but if so then neither is this NG and I'd think this from the rm
> man page:
>
> -r, -R, --recursive remove directories and their contents
> recursively

Maybe the word 'recursively' came out of babelfish as something different.

> would be at least as easy to understand as the comments the OP wrote in
> his script:
>
> rm -f * # remove current directory files rm -f */* #
remove
> subdirectory files rm -f */*/* # repeat ...
>
> and the responses posted here. Like I said, I'm just curious about how a
> question like this gets posted....
>
> Ed.

I wondered too. I looked over moonhkt's post for the last few months
(those still on my server). Some of them look like they may have been
piped through babelfish. The phrase "and their contents recursively" may
not have translated into his native tongue properly.
From: moonhkt on
On 3月10日, 下午1時57分, jellybean stonerfish <stonerf...(a)geocities.com>
wrote:

> >> The man pages may not be available in moonhkt's native language?
>
> > Yes, but if so then neither is this NG and I'd think this from the rm
> > man page:
>
> >       -r, -R, --recursive   remove directories and their contents
> >       recursively
>
> Maybe the word 'recursively' came out of babelfish as something different..
>

> > would be at least as easy to understand as the comments the OP wrote in
> > his script:
>
> >    rm -f *      # remove current directory files rm -f */*    #
> remove
> >    subdirectory files rm -f */*/*  # repeat ...
>
> > and the responses posted here. Like I said, I'm just curious about how a
> > question like this gets posted....
>
> >      Ed.
>
> I wondered too.  I looked over moonhkt's post for the last few months
> (those still on my server).  Some of them look like they may have been
> piped through babelfish.  The phrase "and their contents recursively" may
> not have translated into his native tongue properly.

Before post,I asked our UNIX Admin, how to remove files under
subdirctory, he provide rm -f to me then remove remain subdirectory by
rmdir ...
In case of too many subdirectory, Usually, Ask Admin delete for me.
In my profile, I have alias for rm='rm -ie'. Each time,I just remove
one file one by one.

From: Ed Morton on
On Mar 10, 8:53 am, moonhkt <moon...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3月10日, 下午1時57分, jellybean stonerfish <stonerf...(a)geocities.com>
> wrote:

> > > Yes, but if so then neither is this NG and I'd think this from the rm
> > > man page:
>
> > >       -r, -R, --recursive   remove directories and their contents
> > >       recursively
>
> > Maybe the word 'recursively' came out of babelfish as something different.
>
> > > would be at least as easy to understand as the comments the OP wrote in
> > > his script:
>
> > >    rm -f *      # remove current directory files rm -f */*    #
> > remove
> > >    subdirectory files rm -f */*/*  # repeat ...
>
> > > and the responses posted here. Like I said, I'm just curious about how a
> > > question like this gets posted....
>
> > >      Ed.
>
> > I wondered too.  I looked over moonhkt's post for the last few months
> > (those still on my server).  Some of them look like they may have been
> > piped through babelfish.  The phrase "and their contents recursively" may
> > not have translated into his native tongue properly.
>
> Before post,I asked our UNIX Admin, how to remove files under
> subdirctory, he provide rm -f to me then remove remain subdirectory by
> rmdir ...
> In case of too many subdirectory, Usually, Ask Admin delete for me.
> In my profile, I have alias for  rm='rm -ie'. Each time,I just remove
> one file one by one.- Hide quoted text -

Ah, so you didn't look at the man page. Now I understand.

Thanks,

Ed.
From: Janis Papanagnou on
moonhkt wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Before post,I asked our UNIX Admin, how to remove files under
> subdirctory, he provide rm -f to me then remove remain subdirectory by
> rmdir ...

(Ask your company to hire a second admin for the, umm, more difficult
questions.)

> In case of too many subdirectory, Usually, Ask Admin delete for me.
> In my profile, I have alias for rm='rm -ie'. Each time,I just remove
> one file one by one.

You really shouldn't have such an alias defined in the first place. But
if you want the original rm behaviour back (i.e. to ignore the alias and
option -i) prepend a \ (a backslash) to the call, as (for example) in

\rm *

Janis
From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 06:53:25 -0800, moonhkt wrote:

>> I wondered too.  I looked over moonhkt's post for the last few months
>> (those still on my server).  Some of them look like they may have been
>> piped through babelfish.  The phrase "and their contents recursively"
>> may not have translated into his native tongue properly.
>
> Before post,I asked our UNIX Admin, how to remove files under
> subdirctory, he provide rm -f to me then remove remain subdirectory by
> rmdir ... In case of too many subdirectory, Usually, Ask Admin delete
> for me. In my profile, I have alias for rm='rm -ie'. Each time,I just
> remove one file one by one.

Oh, I see, you didn't read the manual page. If your system has manpages,
you may be able to look this stuff up yourself, instead of asking the
UNIX admin. Try "man ls" and see if you get the manpage for "ls"
If you don't have the "man" program on your system, you can look up the
UNIX manpage for a command on the web.

http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/unixhelp/alphabetical/index.html

Also some commands have built in usage information. This can usually be
accessed with a '-h' or '--help' option. Try "ls --help" and see what
it tells you.