From: Eric on
There is a string in cell A1, such as
......... .... (3.25%)
I would like to retrieve the text inside (), which should return 3.25% in
cell B1.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve the text within string?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
From: Mike H on
Eric,

Try this which assumes it's the first set of parenthesis in the cell

=MID(A1,FIND("(",A1)+1,FIND(")",A1,FIND("(",A1))-FIND("(",A1)-2)/100
--
Mike

question.

From: Mike H on
forgot to mention.format as a percentage
--
Mike

question.

From: Jacob Skaria on
Another way

will handle

.......(3.25%)
------(3.25%)..............

'As text
=REPLACE(MID(A1,FIND("(",A1)+1,255),FIND(")",MID(A1,
FIND("(",A1)+1,255)),255,"")

'As percentage (format the cell)

=--REPLACE(MID(A1,FIND("(",A1)+1,255),FIND(")",MID(A1,
FIND("(",A1)+1,255)),255,"")

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 03:29:01 -0700, Eric <Eric(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>There is a string in cell A1, such as
>I would like to retrieve the text inside (), which should return 3.25% in
>cell B1.
>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve the text within string?
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions
>Eric

Assuming no parenthesis prior to the desired enclosure:

=MID(A1,FIND("(",A1)+1,FIND(")",A1)-FIND("(",A1)-1)

--ron