From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 11:31:31 +0800, "Rod Allan"
<pookiethai(a)iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> G'day Trendsetters,
>
> how may I rid the curved arrows on the icons on the desktop please?

You can get rid of the arrows with a registry edit, or more easily and
more safely by using the free TweakUI, downloadable as part of
Microsoft PowerToys at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp (if you
have SP1 or SP2 installed) or
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
(if you don't have SP1 or SP2).

However, my recommendation is that you do *not* do this. The arrows
serve an important function--providing quick visual identification of
a shortcut. If you remove the arrows, you run the substantial risk
that sooner or later you will delete something you wanted to keep,
thinking that you were just deleting a shortcut to it. I would either
leave the arrows as they are, or alternatively use the TweakUI option
of light arrows, which are somewhat less visible than the regular
ones.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Rod Allan on
Thanks Don,
I did indeed employ the small arrows.
Thanks again.

From: Rod Allan on
A pertinent warning, thanks Mr. Blake.
Light arrows used.

"Ken Blake, MVP"

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 07:27:24 +0800, "Rod Allan"
<pookiethai(a)iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> A pertinent warning, thanks Mr. Blake.

No formality necessary. Just "Ken" is fine.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

From: "Don Schmidt" Don on
You're welcome.

Don

"Rod Allan" <pookiethai(a)iprimus.com.au> wrote in message

> Thanks Don,
> I did indeed employ the small arrows.
> Thanks again.
>
> "Don Schmidt" <Don Engineer(a)PNB.Retired_1987> wrote in message
>> Microsoft's TweakUI will remove the arrows.
>> But, may not be a good idea for you won't know if the link is to a
>> program or a Shortcut.
>> A good compromise is to use TweakUI to make the arrow small (also an
>> option of TweakUI).
>>
>> Do a Google search for Windows (plus the version) TweakUI. There are
>> specific versions for the various Windows versions.
>>

>> --
>> Don
>> Vancouver, USA

First  |  Prev  |