From: Chris Rebert on
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM, danmcleran(a)yahoo.com
<danmcleran(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 5:54 pm, Chris Rebert <c...(a)rebertia.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Krister Svanlund
>> <krister.svanl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> one can't generate such a standalone executable for a different
>> operating system from that which one's computer runs.
>
> that's not entirely true. i just built a standalone exe for win 7 from
> my win xp machine.

s/operating system/platform

Good luck getting PyInstaller to output for Windows when being run on
a *nix box.

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com
From: danmcleran on
On Apr 2, 11:23 am, Chris Rebert <c...(a)rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM, danmcle...(a)yahoo.com
>
> <danmcle...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Apr 1, 5:54 pm, Chris Rebert <c...(a)rebertia.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> >> one can't generate such a standalone executable for a different
> >> operating system from that which one's computer runs.
>
> > that's not entirely true. i just built a standalone exe for win 7 from
> > my win xp machine.
>
> s/operating system/platform
>
> Good luck getting PyInstaller to output for Windows when being run on
> a *nix box.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
> --http://blog.rebertia.com

you think virtualbox could help? i wonder if one could run linux/
py2exe virtually on a win machine and get it working.
From: John Bokma on
"danmcleran(a)yahoo.com" <danmcleran(a)yahoo.com> writes:

> On Apr 2, 11:23 am, Chris Rebert <c...(a)rebertia.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM, danmcle...(a)yahoo.com
>>
>> <danmcle...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> > that's not entirely true. i just built a standalone exe for win 7 from
>> > my win xp machine.
>>
>> s/operating system/platform
>>
>> Good luck getting PyInstaller to output for Windows when being run on
>> a *nix box.
>
> you think virtualbox could help? i wonder if one could run linux/
> py2exe virtually on a win machine and get it working.

Of course that works, a virtual windows machine is just a windows
machine ;-).

Also that you can't do a "cross compilation" sounds to me more a
limitation of the tool than a true impossibility.

--
John Bokma j3b

From: Lie Ryan on
On 04/03/10 06:24, John Bokma wrote:

>> you think virtualbox could help? i wonder if one could run linux/
>> py2exe virtually on a win machine and get it working.
>
> Of course that works, a virtual windows machine is just a windows
> machine ;-).
>
> Also that you can't do a "cross compilation" sounds to me more a
> limitation of the tool than a true impossibility.

Much like me writing French...

From: David Cournapeau on
On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Chris Rebert <clp2(a)rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM, danmcleran(a)yahoo.com
> <danmcleran(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 1, 5:54 pm, Chris Rebert <c...(a)rebertia.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>>> one can't generate such a standalone executable for a different
>>> operating system from that which one's computer runs.
>>
>> that's not entirely true. i just built a standalone exe for win 7 from
>> my win xp machine.
>
> s/operating system/platform
>
> Good luck getting PyInstaller to output for Windows when being run on
> a *nix box.

Doesn't py2exe works under wine ? I have had great success building
windows installers on linux through wine (although not with py2exe),

cheers,

David