From: Daku on
I have designed with SPICE a simple boost converter with input voltage
output voltage ratio of 1:3 - 10.0V goes in and 30.0V comes out. I did
this mostly with simple calculations and changing capacitor/
inductor values. Is there a better and more predictable way to do
this ? Thanks in advance for your help.

From: George Jefferson on

"Daku" <dakupoto(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have designed with SPICE a simple boost converter with input voltage
> output voltage ratio of 1:3 - 10.0V goes in and 30.0V comes out. I did
> this mostly with simple calculations and changing capacitor/
> inductor values. Is there a better and more predictable way to do
> this ? Thanks in advance for your help.

I assume you mean the standard SMPS boost converter? If so and there is a
sufficient load then it should 1/(1 - D) where D = duty cycle.

From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/20/2010 07:26 AM, Daku wrote:
> I have designed with SPICE a simple boost converter with input voltage
> output voltage ratio of 1:3 - 10.0V goes in and 30.0V comes out. I did
> this mostly with simple calculations and changing capacitor/
> inductor values. Is there a better and more predictable way to do
> this ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Uh, understand how the stupid thing works, and proceed based on that
understanding? That works well for me in most cases. Randomly fiddling
with values in SPICE is usually a recipe for disaster.

Are you trying to regulate the output, or just get a sorta-fixed 1:3
output ratio? Are you using a regulator chip, discretes, or re-purposed
jelly-bean chips (e.g. 555 timer for PWM generation)? Do you have any
requirements for fixed-frequency, output regulation, EMI limiting, etc.,
etc.?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Tim Wescott wrote:
> On 07/20/2010 07:26 AM, Daku wrote:
>
>> I have designed with SPICE a simple boost converter with input voltage
>> output voltage ratio of 1:3 - 10.0V goes in and 30.0V comes out. I did
>> this mostly with simple calculations and changing capacitor/
>> inductor values. Is there a better and more predictable way to do
>> this ? Thanks in advance for your help.
>

> Uh, understand how the stupid thing works, and proceed based on that
> understanding?

Get a datasheet of a boost convertor IC. Everything is described in the
very details there.

That works well for me in most cases. Randomly fiddling
> with values in SPICE is usually a recipe for disaster.

There is only one efficient cure for imbecility: that is, the patient
has to pay for his treatment himself.

> Are you trying to regulate the output, or just get a sorta-fixed 1:3
> output ratio? Are you using a regulator chip, discretes, or re-purposed
> jelly-bean chips (e.g. 555 timer for PWM generation)? Do you have any
> requirements for fixed-frequency, output regulation, EMI limiting, etc.,
> etc.?

You are asking very complicated questions.

VLV

From: Nobody on
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:26:39 -0700, Daku wrote:

> I have designed with SPICE a simple boost converter with input voltage
> output voltage ratio of 1:3 - 10.0V goes in and 30.0V comes out. I did
> this mostly with simple calculations and changing capacitor/
> inductor values. Is there a better and more predictable way to do
> this ?

Feedback.