From: Ed on
When I shut down , I get the option to restart in MS-DOS mode. If I
take that choice it goes to c:\windows by default.

How can I make it start up in MS-DOS mode in a directory of my own
choice say like e:\mydir ?

Ed
From: Auric__ on
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:01:55 GMT, Ed wrote:

> When I shut down , I get the option to restart in MS-DOS mode. If I
> take that choice it goes to c:\windows by default.
>
> How can I make it start up in MS-DOS mode in a directory of my own
> choice say like e:\mydir ?

I've never given it any thought, but I'd have to guess it's probably not
possible... when choosing "restart to dos mode". You can, however, simply not
load Windows when booting. While the screen first says "loading Windows" (or
whatever), press F8. (You only have about 3 seconds to push it.) You'll get a
text menu; select the option that says something like "command prompt only".

--
This IS my other car.
From: NormC on
Auric__ wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:01:55 GMT, Ed wrote:
>
>> When I shut down , I get the option to restart in MS-DOS mode. If I
>> take that choice it goes to c:\windows by default.
>>
>> How can I make it start up in MS-DOS mode in a directory of my own
>> choice say like e:\mydir ?
>
> I've never given it any thought, but I'd have to guess it's probably not
> possible... when choosing "restart to dos mode". You can, however, simply not
> load Windows when booting. While the screen first says "loading Windows" (or
> whatever), press F8. (You only have about 3 seconds to push it.) You'll get a
> text menu; select the option that says something like "command prompt only".

Why not just type in C:<DIR of my choice>? If the DIR name is so long
that this is an obstacle, change it to a single char like "Z".
From: Ben Myers on
"Ed" <ex(a)directory> wrote in message news:04idndRePN6sMcHXnZ2dnUVZ8ludnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk...
> When I shut down , I get the option to restart in MS-DOS mode. If I
> take that choice it goes to c:\windows by default.
> How can I make it start up in MS-DOS mode in a directory of my own
> choice say like e:\mydir ?

Start "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer", find and highlight
"C:\Windows\Exit to Dos", right-click, select "Properties", "Programs",
then "Advanced", check "Specify a new MS-DOS configuration", click
"OK", then type the desired drive and path into the "Working" box.
Please note that an invalid drive or path will cause an error message
to be displayed when restarting.

Ben
From: Ed on
On 16/07/09 11:26, Ben Myers wrote:
> "Ed" <ex(a)directory> wrote in message news:04idndRePN6sMcHXnZ2dnUVZ8ludnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk...
>> When I shut down , I get the option to restart in MS-DOS mode. If I
>> take that choice it goes to c:\windows by default.
>> How can I make it start up in MS-DOS mode in a directory of my own
>> choice say like e:\mydir ?
>
> Start "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer", find and highlight
> "C:\Windows\Exit to Dos", right-click, select "Properties", "Programs",
> then "Advanced", check "Specify a new MS-DOS configuration", click
> "OK", then type the desired drive and path into the "Working" box.
> Please note that an invalid drive or path will cause an error message
> to be displayed when restarting.
>
> Ben

Yes, that works fine when I click Start>Shutdown>Resart in MS-Dos mode.

Trouble is that now when I reboot my PC afresh I also go to the Dos
directory. I only wanted to go there on the Shutdown.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Ed

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2