From: Thomas Jollans on
On 06/16/2010 08:55 PM, L V wrote:
> I have installed pan, but I fail to make it work with
> "news:comp.lang.python"
> I tried adding the name as a newsserver and left all other info like
> Port, username and password empty.
> Stil I don't get any messages.
> How to fix this.
> Also I'm completely new to newsgroups.

You need access to a USENET server to use USENET. Many ISP provide one
for free to their customers (mine does) - maybe yours does too. (alas,
fewer and fewer provide this)

There are also a few free servers, google a bit, maybe you'll find one
that has comp.lang.python

Though, really, why not use the mailing list?

Thomas
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-06-16, Thomas Jollans <thomas(a)jollans.com> wrote:
> On 06/16/2010 08:55 PM, L V wrote:
>> I have installed pan, but I fail to make it work with
>> "news:comp.lang.python"
>> I tried adding the name as a newsserver and left all other info like
>> Port, username and password empty.
>> Stil I don't get any messages.
>> How to fix this.
>> Also I'm completely new to newsgroups.
>>

> You need access to a USENET server to use USENET. Many ISP provide one
> for free to their customers (mine does) - maybe yours does too. (alas,
> fewer and fewer provide this)

[The OP isn't available, so I'm replying here]

One easy way is to use gmane.org:

nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.general

> There are also a few free servers, google a bit, maybe you'll find
> one that has comp.lang.python
>
> Though, really, why not use the mailing list?

Some of us think that news clients are far better at handling things
like this than are mail clients.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Wow! Look!! A stray
at meatball!! Let's interview
From: Mark Lawrence on
On 16/06/2010 19:55, L V wrote:
> I have installed pan, but I fail to make it work with "news:comp.lang.python"
> I tried adding the name as a newsserver and left all other info like Port, username and password empty.
> Stil I don't get any messages.
> How to fix this.
> Also I'm completely new to newsgroups.

FWIW I read the ng/ml with Thunderbird on Windows Vista through
gmane.comp.python.general, works a treat.

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.