From: Garage Real Estate Guy on
Hi,
I am looking for some information that I can forward to our server
admin so they can setup a 2nd email server on our physcial server. The
goal is to have one server for one IP address for the main domain and
the second email server for a subdomain of the main domain with a
different IP address.

When it is completed, the subdomain will only send and receive emails
from the mail server that is setup for it on the IP address that is
designated for it. The same is true for the mail server for the main
domain.

I hope this makes sense and that someone has some good instructions or
can point us to some good instructions.

Thank You,
Robert
From: ska on
Garage Real Estate Guy wrote:
> I am looking for some information that I can forward to our server
> admin so they can setup a 2nd email server on our physcial server. The
> goal is to have one server for one IP address for the main domain and
> the second email server for a subdomain of the main domain with a
> different IP address.

Well, I suppose there are no simple rules to follow, esp. when the
distro also meddles in between.

first, add another IP to your interface - depends on your OS.

second, duplicate the current ".mc"-file and modify

mc #1: to bind to only the primary IP address and localhost using
DAEMON_OPTIONS(), esp. Addr= option.

mc #2: to bind only to the secondary IP, and make sure any feature
uses its own file.

third, make the cf from the mc

forth, write another startup script supplying the new cf-file by using
the current one from your distro as base.

You will need to consult the operations guide (op.me) and README.cf.

Regards, ska