From: Grant Coady on
Hi there,

Kernel has a problem mounting root, but it reboots before I can read
the message. Of course nothing gets logged so I cannot see exactly
why the kernel wants to reboot.

Can I stop kernel doing an automatic reboot? How?

It's version 2.6.33.5, .4 has same behaviour. Filesystem is Reiserfs,
Intel ICH9R with Core2Duo, .config is on:

http://bugsplatter.id.au/kernel/boxen/pooh64/config-2.6.33.5a.gz

which worked fine on slackware64-13.0, has this behaviour on slack-
ware64-13.1. Because I cannot read the screen before reboot, no idea
where to look next, or what is actually happening.

Thanks,
Grant.
From: Bob Copeland on
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Grant Coady <gcoady.lk(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> which worked fine on slackware64-13.0, has this behaviour on slack-
> ware64-13.1. �Because I cannot read the screen before reboot, no idea
> where to look next, or what is actually happening.

Maybe try CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY to see the message?

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com
From: Randy Dunlap on
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:35:45 -0400 Bob Copeland wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Grant Coady <gcoady.lk(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > which worked fine on slackware64-13.0, has this behaviour on slack-
> > ware64-13.1. �Because I cannot read the screen before reboot, no idea
> > where to look next, or what is actually happening.
>
> Maybe try CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY to see the message?

That's one option.

Can you alter the kernel command line (boot options)?
like add: initcall_debug debug ignore_loglevel pause_on_oops=30

Sounds like it would also be good to have something like:
reboot=hang|spin
(TBD)

---
~Randy