From: kj on

I want to write some tests for code that uses both urllib and
urllib2. I would like to be able to run these tests locally. Are
there modules to facilitate the writing of such tests (e.g. for
setting up a mock web server locally, etc.)?

BTW, in the Perl world, one very easy way to learn how to write
tests for stuff is to study the test suites that come with every
module distribution, and which are usually readily recognizable as
a bunch of files of the form t/*.t. (E.g. I'm sure I could find
some good answers to my question above if I could look at the test
suites for urllib and urllib2, but I can't find them anywhere. In
fact, I don't even know what exactly I should be looking for.)
Where can I find the equivalent for Python distributions?

Thanks!

kynn
From: Lutz Horn on
Hi,

kj wrote:
> I want to write some tests for code that uses both urllib and
> urllib2.

Take a look at the discussion under the title "How can one mock/stub
python module like urllib" at stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/295438/how-can-one-mock-stub-python-module-like-urllib

Lutz
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:06:45 +0100, Lutz Horn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> kj wrote:
>> I want to write some tests for code that uses both urllib and urllib2.
>
> Take a look at the discussion under the title "How can one mock/stub
> python module like urllib" at stackoverflow:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/295438/how-can-one-mock-stub-python-
module-like-urllib

Oh noes!!! Ur fragmenting teh python communities!!!!1!!! DO NOT WANT!!!

*grin*

(And for those who don't know what on earth I'm referring to, see the
thread "Pyfora, a place for python".)

--
Steven
From: Gabriel Genellina on
En Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:33:53 -0300, kj <no.email(a)please.post> escribi�:

> I'm sure I could find
> some good answers to my question above if I could look at the test
> suites for urllib and urllib2, but I can't find them anywhere. In
> fact, I don't even know what exactly I should be looking for.)
> Where can I find the equivalent for Python distributions?

Most of the Python test suite is in the "test" subdirectory below the
standard library; on Windows that's c:\PythonNN\Lib\test, on Linux
/usr/lib/pythonN.N/test or /usr/local/...

> dir /s/b test_url*.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib2.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib2net.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllib2_localnet.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urllibnet.py
D:\apps\Python26\Lib\test\test_urlparse.py

--
Gabriel Genellina

From: kj on
In <hcs1r2$vgp$1(a)online.de> Lutz Horn <lutz.horn(a)fastmail.fm> writes:

>Hi,

>kj wrote:
>> I want to write some tests for code that uses both urllib and
>> urllib2.

>Take a look at the discussion under the title "How can one mock/stub
>python module like urllib" at stackoverflow:

>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/295438/how-can-one-mock-stub-python-module-like-urllib

Thanks, that helped.

kynn