From: Mathieu936 on
Hi!

I created an add-in in Excel 2007 (tool.xlam). I will have about 75
users using this add-in.

I know if the add-in file is in use (i.e. someone have Excel opened
and the add-in is installed), I can't update the file.

I will have to frequently update my add-in, and I don't want to ask
everyone to close excel to access the file.

Is there a way to share the xlam file or code it in a specific way?

Thanks!
From: Dave Peterson on
I'd try marking the tool.xlam as Readonly using windows Explorer.

But then I'd have to update my copy (in a different location). But that makes
sense to me. I'd be able to test or pause and come back to it without
disturbing anyone.

Then when it's finished, I could change the Readonly mark to read/write and
quickly(!) overwrite the file with my development copy of the addin.

Then mark it readonly once more.

If I recall correctly, I used to do this when we used xl2k. But you'll want to
do some testing to see if it works ok for you.

--

Dave Peterson
From: Mathieu936 on
Wow, good idea. It works really fine with Excel 2007.

I just have to put my tool.xlam in read only, and I can replace it
with an updated version of tool.xlam (which must be read only for the
next update)...

I don't have to remove the read only property and quickly overwrite
the file.

Many thanks Dave!

From: Dave Peterson on
It's surprising that you don't have to remove the readonly mark before
overwriting the file with the updated version.

(I'd verify that again <vbg>.)

But glad it worked for you (or some version!).

--

Dave Peterson