From: balzer on
I downloaded Ruby binaries, ruby-1.8.7-p72-i386-mswin32.zip I' wondering
if it's possible configure all package of Ruby environment as a "Portable
App" , the
idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes entirely
from hard drive (or USB stick) eaving no footprint whatsoever on the
machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc. If
I just unzip all Ruby package into 2nd hard drive, how to run Ruby files?
Should I put programs inside some of Ruby directory?

Will Ruby write to registry on interact with Windows programs?

From: Marvin Gülker on
balzer wrote:
> I downloaded Ruby binaries, ruby-1.8.7-p72-i386-mswin32.zip I'
> wondering
> if it's possible configure all package of Ruby environment as a
> "Portable
> App" , the
> idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
> entirely
> from hard drive (or USB stick) eaving no footprint whatsoever on the
> machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.
> If
> I just unzip all Ruby package into 2nd hard drive, how to run Ruby
> files?
> Should I put programs inside some of Ruby directory?
>
> Will Ruby write to registry on interact with Windows programs?

No, Ruby doesn't write any registry entries. That's beacuse Ruby IS
already quite portable - it runs on nearly every OS and a Registry is
quite Windows-specific.

So, just unzip your Ruby wherever you want it. In order to start ruby,
just do:
----------
C:\> I:
I:\> ruby\bin\ruby -v

From: balzer on

"Marvin Gülker" <sutniuq(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
> balzer wrote:
>> I downloaded Ruby binaries, ruby-1.8.7-p72-i386-mswin32.zip I'
>> wondering
>> if it's possible configure all package of Ruby environment as a
>> "Portable
>> App" , the
>> idea is to have a fully-functional Ruby environment that executes
>> entirely
>> from hard drive (or USB stick) eaving no footprint whatsoever on the
>> machine it's run on -- no registry entries, no configuration files, etc.
>> If
>> I just unzip all Ruby package into 2nd hard drive, how to run Ruby
>> files?
>> Should I put programs inside some of Ruby directory?
>>
>> Will Ruby write to registry on interact with Windows programs?
>
> No, Ruby doesn't write any registry entries. That's beacuse Ruby IS
> already quite portable - it runs on nearly every OS and a Registry is
> quite Windows-specific.
>
> So, just unzip your Ruby wherever you want it. In order to start ruby,
> just do:
> ----------
> C:\> I:
> I:\> ruby\bin\ruby -v
> ----------
> or whatever drive letter your USB device gets and however the ruby
> directory is named.
>
> Marvin
> --
--------------------

And where should be placed programs: inside Ruby directory?

thank you.

From: Damjan Rems on
balzer wrote:
> "Marvin Gülker" <sutniuq(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
>>> If
>> So, just unzip your Ruby wherever you want it. In order to start ruby,
>> just do:
>> ----------
>> C:\> I:
>> I:\> ruby\bin\ruby -v
>> ----------
>> or whatever drive letter your USB device gets and however the ruby
>> directory is named.
>>
>> Marvin
>> --
> --------------------
>
> And where should be placed programs: inside Ruby directory?
>
> thank you.

It doesn't matter at all.

Go to whatever directory and type: i:\ruby\bin\ruby myrubyprog.rb

by
TheR

From: balzer on

"Damjan Rems" <d_rems(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> balzer wrote:
>> "Marvin Gülker" <sutniuq(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
>>> So, just unzip your Ruby wherever you want it. In order to start ruby,
>>> just do:
>>> ----------
>>> C:\> I:
>>> I:\> ruby\bin\ruby -v
>>> ----------
>>> or whatever drive letter your USB device gets and however the ruby
>>> directory is named.
>>>
>>> Marvin
>>> --
>>
>> And where should be placed programs: inside Ruby directory?
>>
>> thank you.
>
> It doesn't matter at all.
>
> Go to whatever directory and type: i:\ruby\bin\ruby myrubyprog.rb
>
> by
> TheR
> --

Type command where: in windows cmd prompt , MS DOS windows or other place?