From: vfclists on

When I need to locate the IPs of devices by their mac address on a
Windows system, I normally use Advanced IP Scanner (from radmin.com)
to scan the network, then I use arp -a to list the mac addresses.

Is it possible to use nmap to perform the same function in Linux and
possibly in Windows? Can nmap to the scanning and produce both IPs and
MAC addresses?

I have tried arp -a in Linux but it doesn't seem to work as quickly as
in Windows or appears to require some use input.

/vfclists
From: Greg Russell on
"vfclists" <vfclists(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Is it possible to use nmap to perform the same function in Linux and
> possibly in Windows? Can nmap to the scanning and produce both IPs and
> MAC addresses?

<sigh> ... and what did "man nmap" reveal to your eager, enquiring mind?

"Lerning to rede is guuuuuuuuud."

From: Maxwell Lol on
vfclists <vfclists(a)gmail.com> writes:

> When I need to locate the IPs of devices by their mac address on a
> Windows system, I normally use Advanced IP Scanner (from radmin.com)
> to scan the network, then I use arp -a to list the mac addresses.
>
> Is it possible to use nmap to perform the same function in Linux and
> possibly in Windows? Can nmap to the scanning and produce both IPs and
> MAC addresses?

I am not sure. Nmap is really designed for routed networks, and
getting MAC addresses through a router is non-trivial.

I read the manual page, and tried a few options, and it's not clear
exactly how to do it.

> I have tried arp -a in Linux but it doesn't seem to work as quickly as
> in Windows or appears to require some use input.

that only tells you the contents of the current arp table for that system.
It does not generate any traffic, and does not discover new hosts.

You could do a ping sweep and then use arp -a, but as you stated, it
takes a while to do 256 or so pings to different hosts, as they are
sequential. There are special pings that do this in parallel (fping,
mping), but nmap is more versatile.
From: Maxwell Lol on
Maxwell Lol <nospam(a)com.invalid> writes:

> I read the manual page, and tried a few options, and it's not clear
> exactly how to do it.

Ah. try nmap -A -v -v 192.1680.0/24

This works.
From: Stefan Monnier on
> Is it possible to use nmap to perform the same function in Linux and
> possibly in Windows? Can nmap to the scanning and produce both IPs and
> MAC addresses?

nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24

works for me,

Stefan