From: andre de clercq on
Since quite some time I have the above prompt, when shutting down. It takes
some time before the "program" ends and my PC shuts down. Can anybody help
me to get rid of this? (spyware?)
Thanks for any advise.

From: Sharon F on
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:50:14 +0200, andre de clercq wrote:

> Since quite some time I have the above prompt, when shutting down. It takes
> some time before the "program" ends and my PC shuts down. Can anybody help
> me to get rid of this? (spyware?)
> Thanks for any advise.

Do you have an HP computer or HP hardware installed on your system? The
name of the file could indicate it is part of an HP support tool. Most
likely one that checks automatically for updates and installs them if any
are available.

You'll need to evaluate how useful that is to you. If you think it's
helpful, check with HP for an updated version that does not hang your
computer at shutdown. If not useful, consider disabling the tool (explore
the program's menus for a place to change the startup settings) or consider
uninstalling it altogether.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
From: Andre De Clercq on
Thanks Sharon, but the problem is that the file cannot be found, even in the
hidden files bin. My computer is a Dell running XPSP2. I do not have HP
equipment installed on the PC. Only on another PC on the same network, I
have a non shared HP scanner installed

From: Sharon F on
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:42:38 +0200, Andre De Clercq wrote:

> Thanks Sharon, but the problem is that the file cannot be found, even in the
> hidden files bin. My computer is a Dell running XPSP2. I do not have HP
> equipment installed on the PC. Only on another PC on the same network, I
> have a non shared HP scanner installed

If a printer on a network then "maybe" but not a scanner. A camera? Or...

What hidden files bin are you referring to? There are many not only one.
Try Folder Options> View: Show hidden files and folders AND remove the
check next to "hide operating system files." Then search again.

If file is still not found, look for it in the registry. Try to uncover a
path for it there.

Not much on google for "hpsilentpatch" - wouldn't hurt to check for
spyware. I would scan with a few good anti-spyware programs -not just one.
One program may catch something better than another or that another would
miss.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
From: andre de clercq on

Thanks Sharon for the extra information. I finally found in the
Msconfig/startup an "HP update". I unchecked and the problem was gone.