From: Jose on
On Jul 6, 12:45 pm, BR88 <B...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Everytime i start my computer, it comes up with a black screen saying:
> Windows XP Professional could not start due to damage in/ or missing file:
> \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM\ press r to repair, but nothing happens.
>
> It's a laptop and I have no XP CD for it. The computer came with XP on it,
> so all I've got is a product key on a label.
> I can't start it in failsafe condition or anything else when I use F8, it
> just goes back to the previous???
>
> I can, however, enter the BIOS settings screen (F2), if that's any help.
>
> I was wondering if I could just delete the whole thing and use the product
> key or something to re-install XP???
>
> Either that or any other help is very welcome!

Was the issue preceded by a power interruption, aborted restart, or
improper shutdown?
(this includes plug pulling and power buttons)

These can cause corruption in the file system which must be fixed
before you do anything
else.

If any of those events have occurred (or even if they have not
occurred), you should verify
the integrity of your file system before doing anything else
(especially "trying" things).

It makes zero sense to start trying to copy files around on a hard
disk that has a corrupted
file system so this must be fixed first using the XP chkdsk program,
and fixing that may resolve
your issue entirely.

Use the XP Recovery Console to verify the file system on your HDD and
correct any problems
and then try to boot your system - this may be all you need to do.
Or, you are welcome to
just start trying things that might work.

Boot into the Windows Recovery Console using a bootable XP
installation CD, or create
a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.

This is not the same as any recovery disks that might have come a
store bought system. If
you are not sure what kind of bootable CD you have, make a bootable XP
Recovery Console CD
and be sure.

You can create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD when no XP media is
available by following
the directions in this link:

After booting into the Recovery Console, you should be in this folder:

C:\WINDOWS

For each of your hard disk partitions, you should then run:

chkdsk /r

For example, from the Recovery Console prompt, enter:

chkdsk c: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find. It may take
a long
time to complete or appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the HDD
light is
still flashing, it is doing something. Keep an eye on the percentage
amount to
be sure it is still making progress. It may even appear to go
backwards sometimes.

The chkdsk /r needs to complete without any errors, so you may need to
run it
multiple times until it does.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the computer
and report
back with your progress.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2