From: new DBA in '09 on
Hi Everybody,

I am tasked with creating a data warehouse database and SSRS reports
to support billing and decision-making. Using a manually-created
report as a guide, I've created a few tables and imported,
transformed, and created new data or updated existing data in these
tables. What I don't have, though, is any kind of formal data
warehouse development training, so I'm often left to wonder if there's
a better way to do what I'm doing. For instance, I created an SSIS
package in production that outputs a full customer list in a text
file, then another package on a different server (1) imports those
customers into a staging table and either (2a) updates existing
customers where any imported value is different or (2b) inserts new
customers from the staging table that don't already exist. This seems
like a logical approach, but since I'm creating a new system, I really
want to do it right by using tried and true accepted data warehousing
techniques. I found a link to a site that may help (http://
intelligent-enterprise.informationweek.com/ports/search_dw_fund.jhtml?
_requestid=20212), but I'm wondering if there's a book (or site, or
PDF, or video, or whatever) anybody would recommend. At this point I'm
more concerned with theory and practice than T-SQL statements.

Thanks a lot,
Eric
From: --CELKO-- on
>> At this point I'm more concerned with theory and practice than T-SQL statements. <<

Start with my little intro book on ANALYTICS & OLAP the move onto the
real sutff -- Ralph Kimball and Bill Inmon.
From: new DBA in '09 on
Thanks, CELKO, I ordered the book today. There's so many data
warehousing books out there that I didn't really know where to start.
I will let you know what I think of it. Heck, I might even let you
know if I have questions.

Thanks again!
-Eric